Is this a rediculous idea?

Scubastevie00

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking about upgrading my TV. As a former PC user then console user for the last 10 years, I've grown accustomed to sitting my couch and gaming. I have the opportunity to upgrade my old 1080P tv. I could buy a new 1080P tv or upgrade to 4k.

I'm torn between buying a desk and doing dual monitors at 1440p, a 40" 4k TV or just a new 1080p TV. I'll be upgrading the computer to handle it, but I'm honestly not sure. Is it worth it to buy a TV like this:

http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...6amuWGK0UerlxvojNUEu7GUn-UB8nU1UG4aAvRU8P8HAQ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...XpQRBDBlPLTyWp2LbqsrQaAl5m8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Refresh rates are low, but at 10ft from the TV, I'm mildly okay with that.. Unless I can find something at 120hz and 4k for less than $1000.

Thanks.

That's a loaded question. I'd go dual monitors myself, but then I don't game much anymore. If you go 4k you'll need hardware to drive whatever your target FPS is and that's pretty much a fury X or 980 ti. 1080p is doable in low power, quiet solutions. It's not like 1080p looks bad either. I'd go with the 1080.

1080p is stoneage. You want to upgrade, right? Get a 4K TV. I saw the Vizio M series on RTINGS.com, 4K 120Hz (iirc), for less than $1,000... input lag is phenomenal on them too. Only issue is chroma will not be 4:4:4. I'm not sure what chroma level it uses (may want to look into it, or just buy the TV and try it), but the Samsung TV's use 4:2:2 or so (in game mode) and you can't tell a difference when gaming (I've tested it with still images), and desktop use too for the most part (you may see slight, slight artifacting... rarely.)

EDIT: Just checked, it uses 4:2:2. I'd get it man (be advised the 49" version is IPS and not VA like the rest - so less contrast, but better colors/viewing angles). And if you were to get the 60", apparently it does 1080p 120Hz INPUT as well. Maybe the smaller models could be overclocked to do it too? Depends if the hardware is actually different. Fantastic contrast ratio as well, and motion interpolation lag is really low if you want to actually game at 120 FPS at the cost of 60 FPS gpu power.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/m-series-2015?uxtv=f055

Last edited:
Not sure about rediculous, might be ridiculous tho :p

1080p is still current because 4K is too high for single GPU if you like the blockbuster games.
But if buying a TV I would get a decent 4K that does 1080p well
However...

I'd wait until this years TVs come out.
You may be able to get an OLED with acceptable lag, there currently isnt one.
And other issues will be addressed.

ps
I've gamed from my sofa for around 10 years, its by far the best way to play. I now use a projector because it works so well.
Get a load of large feather cushions and perhaps a feather pillow for back support as they are conveniently the exact right shape.
If your mouse wont track on the sofa material, flatten a cushion top and put your arm and mouse on top.
You can also use the edge of that cushion to support one end of the keyboard which gives you more options on how to sit.
I game anything from mostly lying on my side to fully sitting up and all the angles in between.
Perfecto :)

Big 4k TV. Not a close call to me. And I'd go bigger than 40.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Soooo. Worth it to buy a 4K TV in that price range while I upgrade and have it just upscale? I mean, can't look worse than my 8 year old Toshiba @ 60hz. XFire 390's are on the way, just not quite yet.

Also, as I posted on /r/pcmasterrace and they whined why don't I just use dual 1440p's and whanot with a desk. I enjoy sitting on my couch to game w/ wireless stuff and if I ditched my TV setup, I'd lose the ability for my fiance and I to watch movies in my room. Its still an option, I can just also just move my ps4 to our bedroom and be done. Too many options as of now.

I wanted to upgrade above 60hz. Not a bad deal at all for that TV though

$450 for the Samsung UN40JU6500 is probably the cheapest way to get true 4:4:4 chroma at 4K 60hz. Maybe even get two? :). It might not have 120hz at 1080, but I mean if you are going to get it for the purpose of 4K, you will find yourself using 1080p much less anyway.

R390 has no HDMI 2.0 output so you will have to get a DP1.2 to HDMI 2.0 active adapter like this one if you want 4K 4:4:4 chroma at 60hz.

http://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displayport-1-2-HDMI-CAC-1070/dp/B0194F1MY4

Given that you like higher refresh rate, I don't think you will like having to use 30hz...

If you are going to ever use a 4K TV as a monitor, you really want to have 4:4:4 and 60hz. If you want the nicest sharpest txt on static display you really do want 4:4:4 chroma. Make sure you do your research carefully on the TV that will have true 4:4:4. Many of them don't make it very clear upfront.

It would appear I'm going to end up sticking with my current TV and upgrading to dual 1440p monitors then. 4k just doesn't seem to be in the cards right now. Any recommendations for 1440p monitors instead?

Thanks again for all the input.

Soooo. Worth it to buy a 4K TV in that price range while I upgrade and have it just upscale? I mean, can't look worse than my 8 year old Toshiba @ 60hz. XFire 390's are on the way, just not quite yet.

Also, as I posted on /r/pcmasterrace and they whined why don't I just use dual 1440p's and whanot with a desk. I enjoy sitting on my couch to game w/ wireless stuff and if I ditched my TV setup, I'd lose the ability for my fiance and I to watch movies in my room. Its still an option, I can just also just move my ps4 to our bedroom and be done. Too many options as of now.

Last time I asked, A lot of the PCMR types have not seen a 40" 4k+ screen, usually ultrawide at most, many only seem to compare monitors by refresh rates. It's a wonder they're all not running CRTs, but they're heavy and don't look good next to the rgb KB/mouse..

Side by side, no comparison, 40"+ 4k smokes ultrawide for immersion and usability.

Have been keeping an eye on the 4k 40" plus line ups for my personal build, which has been put on hold till polaris launches. Ends up my ex/friend (getting back together) wants a new PC, we got everything but the screen and looking at the crossover or wasabi mango as they are only ones that are IPS, Dp, freesync and 10 bit capable if needed.

She wants to use it for video editing, general productivity, surfing, watching movies from the couch (it's a small office room).

If you're only playing consoles 1080p is indeed enough. Problem: the current offer in that category is crap because manufacturers have switched to 4K and put their engineering knowlegdge and better parts into those.
Some good 1080p monitors remain, but not TVs (the last good ones were the 2013~2015 Sony W series, all have been discontinued).
So get a 4K, really.

- If you value technical ability before everything (like proper scaling, flicker-free, worth considering if you don't own a very powerful pc) get a 4K Sony like the X810C, afaik the brand's current best for gaming and 'monitor use'.

- If slightly faster, snappier response for your gaming sessions is your priority (in terms of pixel response and lag) then get one of the best 4K Samsungs, JU7500 or JS9000. Also I think those overall look more pleasing to the naked eye (though I have only seen demo-ed models with shit store presets).

I think it's that simple at the moment, since potentially interesting new models for 2016 haven't been released or tested yet.

4K is the way to go. you can always use 4K to display 1080p but you can't ever use 1080p to display 4K.

4k just doesn't seem worth it with my current setup. While I can upgrade to xfire 390's, 30hz seems way to low. Motion blur would be horrendous wouldn't it?

EDIT: Just dropped my current tv down to 30hz and tested it out. Wow that was terrible. I have no issues with running a 4k TV at 1080P till I upgrade my cards and it appears that this will fix the 30hz issue. Unfortunately, they are OOS at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Displa...=UTF8&qid=1454552624&sr=1-1&keywords=CAC-1070

Last edited:
4k just doesn't seem worth it with my current setup. While I can upgrade to xfire 390's, 30hz seems way to low. Motion blur would be horrendous wouldn't it?

EDIT: Just dropped my current tv down to 30hz and tested it out. Wow that was terrible. I have no issues with running a 4k TV at 1080P till I upgrade my cards and it appears that this will fix the 30hz issue. Unfortunately, they are OOS at the moment.

If you want to stick to AMD your best bet for 4K TV is that active adapter. Probably your only bet until AMD brings out a card with HDMI 2.0 since I am betting that the day DP showing up on TV will be quite a while and probably never happen (likely due to the fact that DP cable can only go up to 10ft)

If you really want 1080 at 120hz and 4K 4:4:4 chroma 60hz, I think there is a sony or something like that. check on rtings.com. but it won't be for less than $600...

Thanks for the help gentlemen. 55X810C it is. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but seems to have everything I need and more.

Let us know how you like your new sony... i imagine at 55 inch, you will probably need to move it back a bit from an arm length viewing distance. The trick is finding that right distance so that the pixel size become invisible but at the same time native scaling not too small (unless you not doing native scaling). also with big tv there is a fine line with sitting distance to have an immersive view vs too close that you have to keep turning your head to see the side and corner..

The 55X810C is up and running. Its amazing. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Going to have to wait till the display port to HDMI 2.0 adapters come back in stock so I'm sitting at 30hz. Still messing around with picture settings etc. Its quite involved. Sorry about the image quality!

http://imgur.com/a/D6zRd

Isn't it a bit too dark ? iirc Sony sets have an energy saving mode deep down in the settings, it's active by default when you buy them, and it dims the picture everywhere but in a very bright room.
The pre-Android models did, dunno for yours maybe it's just the photo.

Just the photos. My HTC m8 doesn't take terribly good pictures of TV's. I turned the auto dimmer off. I have to change a few settings in the picture management still. I'm really happy with this thing!

Back