• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a ground loop? Or something else?

Chumbuh1

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 23, 2002
Messages
118
I bought a set of Swans D1080 MKII speakers for my desktop, and they sound fantastic most of the time, but occasionally they kick in with an extremely loud buzzing sound. It sounds like a ground loop, but much louder than I'm used to hearing. So loud that it completely drowns out any other sound trying to get through. And when I say occasionally, I mean like once or twice a day, and it stops only if I turn them off and back on again.

I've done a little research on ground loops, but I've never come across a situation quite like mine, so I'm not sure if that's my problem. It sometimes happens when other appliances in the house turn on or off, so I'm wondering if its an issue of dirty power. Everything for my computer is plugged in through the same surge protector, including the speakers. Does anyone know something that could help me out? :confused:
 
No, probably not a ground loop. They tend to be continues, and also usually aren't that loud. Sounds like your speakers are defective, there's something inside going wonky. Hit up their customer support, you'll probably need to get them to replace the speakers.
 
Ground loops sound like "HUMMMMMM." Volume can be as low as a slow rpm case fan to something obscene like 80dB, depending how many ungrounded devices you have hooked up. It NEVER stops until everything you have is ungrounded.
 
yeah ground loop is constant noise or alternating but it never stops unless you get rid of the issue
 
Sounds like appliance motor noise from maybe a fride's compressor turning on a air conditioner or furnace's blower motor. Basically it is noise on the power line a decent line conditioner might help or even a power strip with noise supression depending on what is causing the problem sometimes.

It also be the "GSM gallop" noise from having a cell phone ring near powered speakers or sometimes it can be noisy components on your PC's motherboard so you'll here random noises during pc activity but that is less likely with a non-onboard sound card.
 
As stated earlier, not a ground loop. Turning the speakers off then back on would not do anything to a ground loop issue. The fact that when you do it the problem goes away indicates the issue is something else.
I would suggest getting in touch with the manufacturer or place of purchase and find out about replacing the speaker system.
 
Well, I spent this weekend trying to figure out the problem, trying different audio sources and power sockets, none of which were buzz-free for long. Then I opened up the back pannel, wondering if I could clearly see any broken parts or friend electricals etc. Everything looked peachy, I put it back together, and everything's been fine since, so I'm wondering if there were some components touching each other in the cabinet that I nudged free perhaps. I'm not sure what I did, but they seem to be working fine for the moment. Thanks for your replies everybody :)
 
Back
Top