• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a good SFF set up?

exilio

n00b
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
48
MOBO/CASE/PSU: huttle SN25P Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 FX/Athlon 64/Sempron nVIDIA nForce4 2x 184Pin Barebone - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101468
$380

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103536
$149

RAM: CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440
$78

GPU: Rosewill Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164041
$280

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA NCQ ST380017AS 80GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148040
$65

OPTICAL: NEC BLACK IDE DVD BURNER - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152035
$49

FLOPPY: NEC FD1231H-302 BLACK INTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005
$7

TOTAL: $1010
 
do you really need a floppy?

i don't follow video cards.. but i am willing to bet that people will advise you against a rosewill vid card.. they will say bfg or evga or something probably...

also.. if that motherboard can put more voltage to the ram.. you could get twinmos sp or the cheap g.skill and get a little more out of the memory for about $20 more..
 
I have the Rosewill XL. Rosewill buys from the same factory as powercolor and sapphire. Exact same everything, just different box.
 
That's pretty much the exact set up I'm thinking of buying. Looks good to me!
 
My question is..... do you need a bios update to use the new venice / san diego processors. If so, has shuttle released a new bios that allows you to use them?
 
Some manufacturers still use floppy disk and besides, $8 isn't my biggest concern with this build.

With regards to Rosewill, I have heard lots of great things so I see no reason not to trust them.

Add'em,
That is cool to hear. What, fi anything, are you doing differently?

Barrok,
That is a great question. I did not realize until today just how new the Venice chips are. I would imagine they work out of the box, but maybe not for tweaking. I'm not sure.
 
Yeah, the reason I ask is cause i am going to get pretty much the same system except a 3700+ San Diego, I am just waiting to hear back if I need a bios flash or what not. I am also looking at that rosewill card, for 275 that isnt bad but it's hard to trust a company I have never heard of heh
 
Yes I used to feel the same way, but interestingly enough these 3rd party manufacturers are very much like those that make non-name brand prescription drugs...theya re the same thing, jsut rebranded and thus the savings are passed onto the customer. While I know these cards aren't identical, I think the only major changes are the cooling methods, colors and maybe other minor tweaks.

The Rosewill has received great reviews from pros and regular consumers.
 
just remember to disconnect the card reader when you load up the os. For some reason the bios recognizes the reader instead of the HD. I think you have a real nice system there. I also dont know about the Venice chips but its not like you bought a CPU from Mars, it should not be a problem. I love shuttles.
 
Barrok said:
My question is..... do you need a bios update to use the new venice / san diego processors. If so, has shuttle released a new bios that allows you to use them?
According to other forums no. I should be able to confirm soon :)
 
these shuttles come with a CPU heatsink right? sorry for the noob question, i was just wondering (dont have any experience with sff).
 
The shuttle does, its a interesting heatsink called "ICE" or something. Hopefully I will get one soon and confirm :D
 
Shuttle has its own cooler for the cpu called ICE, sort of neat because you can buy the oem processor and save a couple of bucks. The cooler is integrated with a fan set up for cooling and is not only efficient but quiet, especially on smart fan setting. If you overclock the processor and run that baby on high it will sound much like a jump jet taking off,however. The sn25P has a newer set up based on the same ICE but the layout and fan number are different. You will find the shuttle a pleasure to build. Most of the work is already done for you, the cable are routed perfectly, and the sn25p does not even require tools. The power supply is upgraded tp 350W and the silent X is very stable source of power. It will easily handle your vid card. 2 cents. (I do not work for shuttle,but I am very impressed with their products)
 
Exactly.

Not only is the ICE a fantastic, custom cooling solution, it saves you from having to buy a heat sink and fan to do the job.

I guess the only thing I am not 100% on is the RAM.
 
exilio said:
Exactly.

Not only is the ICE a fantastic, custom cooling solution, it saves you from having to buy a heat sink and fan to do the job.

I guess the only thing I am not 100% on is the RAM.

I'm using 1 gig Corsair w/o any issues see sig.

You should also know that the Venice CPU will REQUIRE a BIOS
upgrade to show accurate temps...the current/latest works fine with
that CPU btw...as per the shuttle guys over at the http://www.sfftech.com/
forum
 
Back
Top