• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

is this a good setup?and need some help

eaver

n00b
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
18
am building a new pc and HT and want 2 get a surround system 2 go with it n a small room, @1st a friend advised me 2 get the gigaworks s750 or the logitech z-5500 , so i took a cd of my favorite music and went 2 a local nearby pc shop and listened 2 them and was not impressed with them "4 my music of course", but couldnt listen 2 the gigaworks. next on my list was a non mm setup and the only thing i could find was a set of:
infinity primus 250 floorstand for fronts
infinity primus 150 for surrounds
infinity primus c25 for center
infinity ps8 sub "question here: what 2 do with the crossover frequency nob on the back of this sub??" am fairly new 2 these things and dont know how 2 set the crossover on the sub or the receiver.
all will b driven by a H/K avr130 receiver

does this system deserve 2 pay the double i was going 2 pay the gigaworks?? i'll b using this system 4 moviez watching and music "metal & rock" and a little bit of gaming , mainly flight sim 2004. "again all n a small room"

p.s. i dont have the option 4 another set cuz am living n dubai and its hard 2 find a variety of options over here.

one more thing i'll b connecting the whole set 2 CL X-FI sound card and a stand alone dvd and tv , but which is a better option connecting it 2 the x-fi? digital or 6 channels direct??

thanx n advance
 
ok thanx but do i turn the crossover on the sub all the way 2 max or the min?
 
mate, check this

for c25
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?Prod=PRIMUSC25BK&cat=&sType=

for the 250s
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?Prod=PRIMUS250BK&cat=&sType=

for the sub
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/product_detail.aspx?Prod=PS8BK&cat=&sType=

ok, I am in a generous mood, so here goes

I see you also have a HK AVR. Funny, I have a pretty similar setup, I have a set of JBL Tiks (10K at the front, 2Ks at the back with the hugest fckin sub driven by a HK AVR 7500. Luckily the wife used to work for harman kardon (who makes jbl/infinity as well) so we got it all for about 60% below list, so about 15000 euros worth of kit for about 6500 euros, bargin)

but anyways, how I have it as follows

I have a digital connection as well as 6 analog connections as well.

If I am playing a game and want multichannel, I switch the AVR to "6/8 Channels" and then go for it

If I am listening to music, I switch to the digital input and let the AVRs DACs be used as I am confident they shit on the audigys from a great hieght.

Also, for you sub, I would set the crossover to be the lowest responce of your front speakers, so around 50hz if I was you. You dont want two/three pieces of equipment all hitting the bass at the same time, sounds VERY bad.

EDIT: forgot to add, its a very good setup compared to those creative/logitech pieces of crap. Specially if you like to listen to music, pump out some Grimfist through those puppys and you will have a big smile on your face.
 
towert7 said:
If you retype that in English english, maybe I can help..................

Untill then, :confused: :confused: :confused:

whats ur problem here "shakespeare" ??

am not n an english lecture or something!!

by the way thanx 4 the nfo kristo :)
 
eaver said:
whats ur problem here "shakespeare" ??

am not n an english lecture or something!!

by the way thanx 4 the nfo kristo :)
Best advice is to go and listen to them.
If they sound good to you, then that's all that matters.

Also, if im not mistaken, the CL X-Fi needs analog cables to still get "ture" surround to the receiver.

~Good luck
 
Kristo said:
Also, for you sub, I would set the crossover to be the lowest responce of your front speakers, so around 50hz if I was you. You dont want two/three pieces of equipment all hitting the bass at the same time, sounds VERY bad.

besides disagreeing with the notion of 'setting it to be the lowest response of your front speakers', the rest of the sentence doesn't make sense, because if he sets the crossover at the receiver, his front speakers aren't going to get the frequencies that you are feeding the sub...

just because a set of speakers will reach 50hz, doesn't mean you should attempt to make them go there... save amplifier power and let the sub do what it is best at... 80hz is a reasonable starting point (fwiw, my fronts are flat to 50hz, and i have them crossed over at 80hz)...

tower, i didn't bother to attempt to translate the majority of his post (when did vowels become optional :confused: ) , so that's why i just commented on the crossover... :p
 
ok, some speakers are nice hitting the full range, some arent.

Experiment, see what works. Safe would be a high cutoff as yes, you are right, subs are better at bass than regular speakers

its just for listening to music, i prefer all my sound coming from the speakers themselves (hence why i got some huge 3 way speakers that can reach down a long long way)
 
fwiw, my mains will hit their full advertised range... :)

that being said, why? call me a heathen, but 2 channel music to me sounds "better" when i let the sub do its work... to each his own, i suppose...
 
Back
Top