is this a good psu?

That series is supposed to be pretty damned efficient, I know that much. I haven't seen any really thorough reviews, though. You're not using that for your system in the sig, are you? What do you have that really requires that much PSU?

What do you have that really requires that much PSU?

1. looking for power for my new gtx260 or 280
2. looking for reliable/stable power...
3. everybody needs this kind of power, all the fans, the mobo, the 4 2gb ram i have, the quad proc. i want to buy, the sata blueray i want, the sata 300gb 10,000rpm hd i have, the usb ports (mouse keyboard printer ups battery, etc). etc, etc...

1. looking for power for my new gtx260 or 280
2. looking for reliable/stable power...
3. everybody needs this kind of power, all the fans, the mobo, the 4 2gb ram i have, the quad proc. i want to buy, the sata blueray i want, the sata 300gb 10,000rpm hd i have, the usb ports (mouse keyboard printer ups battery, etc). etc, etc...

Actually, that kind of rig probably doesn't need more than a good quality 600-700 watt PSU, at absolute most. Maybe if you were running 3 GTX280s that would be a good investment, otherwise it's just a waste of cash.

If you're just running the 1 vid card, try the Corsair HX 620. High quality build, tons of kids here have them. They've proven themselves well built, quiet, stable, and tough. There are reviews all over the place, too, each one excellent. I've owned an HX520 for the past year, and it rocks.

people dont take into account the fact that components are taking more and more power.......maybe we want to over do it now and be safe 2 or 3 years down the road without worry and not have to buy a new psu every upgrade.

maybe im retarded, just my thoughts...

Yeah, power requirements get overstated all the time. Someone around here has a 4850 CF rig with an OCed dual core on a 450watt PSU, and he has no power issues. Wish I could remember who...

I bought my HX520 with the idea that I'd use it the entire 5 years it's under warrenty. I don't plan on a multi GPU setup at all, so I highly douby anything I buy in the next 4 years is going to stress this thing.

Actually, that kind of rig probably doesn't need more than a good quality 600-700 watt PSU, at absolute most. Maybe if you were running 3 GTX280s that would be a good investment, otherwise it's just a waste of cash.

If you're just running the 1 vid card, try the Corsair HX 620. High quality build, tons of kids here have them. They've proven themselves well built, quiet, stable, and tough. There are reviews all over the place, too, each one excellent. I've owned an HX520 for the past year, and it rocks.

+1 though for future proofing I went with the 750XT. On my current system with an 8800GTX the fan will not even kick on above the slowest speed. and it was half the cost of the 1000watt. to drive that point home I basically got 75% of the wattage and 95% of the connections I could want for half the cost. Unless he needs Tri SLI or Quad Xfire there just is no need really. even then it is actually cheaper (maybe not better though) to buy two PSU for your system. They even have dedicated GPU PSU that fit in a drive bay. these are not normally cost effective but if your running tri sli it would be.

yeah, a good 600-750 watt psu should do it. May i recommend the silverstone decathalon 750watt (da750 i think)

thanks everybody.

i want to buy a reliable power supply. this is the most expensive psu i have ever bought, so to put my mind at easy.

thanks everybody.

i want to buy a reliable power supply. this is the most expensive psu i have ever bought, so to put my mind at easy.

it is at that but really it is overkill. you can get a 750XT or the PC power and cooling 750 for 120 after rebate. 80 dollars cheaper then what you have listed and both have nearly the same cable connections (enough to run two video cards, really the same as the 1000watt your looking at, 2 8pin and 4 6pins will only hook up two cards any way you look at it unless your using adapter cables). Bang for the buck its hard to recomend a 1000watt PSU unless you really have a need. For the same money you could also buy a high end modeler PSU, for instance the XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC751 750W (heard about these from jonnyguru) is only 130 at the egg. Just my opinion for what its worth

if i were you i would go with a pc power and cooling, corsair, or even a ultra LSP, they are all good and 600 to 750 should power that rig easy.

Back