• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a good printer/deal?

Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
50
I stopped by slickdeals.net and today's deal is the HP Officejet 6500 for $50 shipped from Staples. I know next-to-nothing about what's out there when it comes to printers, but have been meaning to get a new one for some time now so figured this would be a good place to start.

Any recommendations for better options for under $150? I'm a casual user, printing mostly text documents and maybe the occasional photo. It needs to be able to scan and copy as well. I rarely fax so that's not a necessity, but might still be nice to have in case that ever changes. Wireless isn't needed, but would be nice. Same with use over a network.

Thanks for the help

edit: That price range isn't set in stone. Like I said, I don't know much about printers so could probably be convinced to spend more if it's a worthy investment.
 
Last edited:
Well, if you go with the HP, just make sure your OS is supported, i recently had some problems with Win7 and an HP printer.

I wouldn't go with an all-in-one solution, I had only bad experiences with those devices. For example if one stops working, everything stops working

Buy a cheap Inkjet printer and put it a continous ink system (google that ;)), it's the best investment you can make!!! I have a couple of those systems and work like a charm, and you save a loooooot of money
 
The more I think about it, the more I prefer something wireless. What would you guys say are some of the best all-in-one wireless printers?
 
I couldn't tell you. To be honest, many of us here don't follow printers until the time comes for us to buy a new one.

All I could tell you is to pick a few printers based on features that you consider "must have" and perform copious research -- don't just look at reviews from major websites but also user reviews of the same product.
 
I say go with a HP...they are fairly easy to setup and are pretty reliable IMO. Canon on the other hand has let me down....
 
Canon can make good printers but some of their newer pixmas are junk. Read up on consumer reviews for them.
 
Brother and Epson All in Ones are the only ones I have personal experience with.
I have an Epson Workforce 610 and it does the job pretty good, USB, Wireless, and NIC.
My sister bought a Brother, not sure the model but it is USB and Wireless (no NIC) and does a great job but will not print if any of the color carts are empty. Other brands may be the same way, just not sure myself.
 
I prefer Epson over HP. HP's installations have so much garbage on them and compatibility is a bitch.
 
I ended up getting the Officejet 6500 for $60 from Staples and used a $25 off $75 coupon I got off ebay for a buck to throw in some paper and pencils and bring the total back down to about $50 shipped. I figured at that price I may as well get it since I need a printer. Then when I find a wireless one that I want I'll just give this to my mom who has had the same printer since she first got a computer back in like '04.

Note to self - check ebay for coupons more often... $1 for $25 = good deal
 
Back
Top