• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a good deal?

Joined
Jan 17, 2005
Messages
38
I am buying some used stuff...listed below. I need a killer machine to run EQ2 so I'm still gonna need a video card (was thinking 9800 pro AGP) and another 512MB RAM.

1) Pentium 4 3.0ghz Extreme Chip with HyperThreading
technology, 800mhz System Bus and 1 MB L2 Cache - $200

2) ECS Motherboard 848P-A, ATX with 4 layer printed
circuit board- mPGA Socket 478 Intel processors.
Includes 200/266/333/400 Mhz DDR memory slots (2),
integated LAN/sound systems and dual independent
serial ATA ports and USB 2.0 connectivity (2 front 4
back). Includes 1 AGP, 5 PCI and one CNR expansion
slot - $40
3) Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 200GB Hard Drive with Ultra
ATA/100 compatibility BIOS - $150
4) I/O Magic Internal DVD+/- RW/R 16X Dual Format
Double Layer drive. - $100
5) Spressa Sona CRX 140E/CH2 R/RW, Write CDR 8x, RW
4x, reads 32X - $20
6) Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy LS Sound Card,
24-bit sound - $50
7) Maxi Gamer Cougar 2d/3D Graphic Card V. 2.4 with
32MB featuring TNT2/M64 -$10
Standard 3.5" Floppy - $0
9) 512MB DDR Memory - $70
10) Logitech Scrolling/Wheel Mouse with software - $5
11) Compaq Internet Keyboard - $5
12) MGE Vigor 450Watt Power Supply with blue LED light
- $20
13) ATX Mini tower case - $20
14) Various cables to connect, including new serial
cables.
15) Includes CD software for video card, sound card,
both CD drives, motherboard setup, and others.
16) I will even toss in Norton Antivirus, a Compag 13"
Monitor, , ethernet cable, all the other cables you
need, and also a WingMan playpad at just an extra $50,
but that is negotiable depending on what you offer for
the system

he is giving me all of it for 400$

Some additional info about me...I never overclock, (I actually have worked in the chip industry for 14 years), I applaud you brave souls that do, but I am too lazy and cheap, hehe. Oh and I never liked Intel, but this seemed like a great deal.

Now I work at MIT R&D lab, the semiconductor branch, but hey, you guys know more about the latest PC stuff than me.

Relying on your cutting-edge l337 skillz :D

Mark
 
i think you'll get more opinions if you post this in Gen Hardware..

it seems okay, but ditch the motherboard.
 
That's a decent deal for only $400.

Maybe some more real estate with a bigger screen, but that's just me, I'm spoiled with dual 19" lcds at home and dual 21" lcds at work.
 
Thats a steal at $400. The only thing I would replace would be the PSU. Of course you need a better vid-card for eq2 (my ti4600 works ok @ "balanced" settings @ one step up from 1024x768.

A Geforce 6600GT for $200 makes a hell of a system for your needs.
 
that is an ok price for 400,

i belive the chip is a 3.0E chip right? ( prescott ) i dont think intel had 3.0ghz extreme chips.. and if it did that woudlb e a 2mb cache.. anyway

i guess ic an list what i think prices are on those items:

1. 3.0E pressy + that mootherboard you can get at frys when they have sales for about 169.99-189.99 so with tax id say 180-200 brand new.

used prices: chip: 130-150 , motherboard - 10-20
recommened to get a new motherboard as esc really sucks
harddrive - 100ish

dvd writer 50ish ( new ones better name brand you can buy on newegg for around 60-70 )

cd writer - 5$, you can get a 52x cdrw for like 20-25 bucks if you look around
sound card - problaby 40-50
video card - yeah bout 10 or less ( yeah get a new one )
ram - 50ish ( if you lok at outpost you can get some good deals on kingston hyperx ram, also a good idea to get 2 sticks, that is if that esc board supports dual channel)
mousekeyboard - problaby around that price
psu - less than 20, recommeneded to get a new one
case - sure
the extra stuff = not wroth it...

anyway yeah 400 dollars is wroth it for that stuff if they pay for shipping too that is.

good luck on yoru search for a machine.
 
Yeah, seems like a decent price (praying it all works). I will get a better vid, was thinking 9800 pro, but I'll definitely look into the 6600.

8)

Thanks so much for all the help. I will upgrade the marginal crap as I go. I already have a 15" LCD that will do for now. After Video, memory, PSU and Mobo, I'll get a better monitor hehe. Video card should get me online and playing at least (I hope).
 
Back
Top