• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Is this a good card?

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
2FA
Joined
Oct 4, 2001
Messages
14,468
My friend is looking to upgrade his old GF2 MX400 32mb to a newer card that is less than $100. Would this be a good choice for him?
 
I swear to god BestBuy had a BBA Radeon 9600 for $70...after mail-in-rebate though...
 
its a good card for the money, no question. what are the specs of the system he's going to use it in?
 
Originally posted by DaveX
I swear to god BestBuy had a BBA Radeon 9600 for $70...after mail-in-rebate though...


they've had 9600se's recently for very close to that price, but not normal 9600's, not since the day after thanksgiving sale. most bestbuys cleared out what very limited inventory they had of the 9600 np's that day.
 
Originally posted by sackowitz
its a good card for the money, no question. what are the specs of the system he's going to use it in?

1700+ T-bred, 256mb PC2700 and Epox 8K3A+.
 
that will totally rock out compared to a gf2.... definitely a purchase that will make you happy.
 
Thanks for the help everyone. I will pass on this info to my friend.
 
I swear to god BestBuy had a BBA Radeon 9600 for $70...after mail-in-rebate though...

Yeah i initialy purchased it. They gave me wrong card after i asked 4 employes if it included the 9600 XT ( they all yes'd me ) so i had no MIR so i returned it. One of my friend's just sold the one he got from there also to another friend *phew*. Thats probley the best card under 100 bucks its not bad either.
 
Originally posted by V0ltage
get a ti4200, its cheaper and faster.

Show me where I can get a Ti4200 for RETAIL for less than $100...
 
Originally posted by V0ltage
get a ti4200, its cheaper and faster.

false, ti4200 competes with the 8500, and is a direct x8 card, the 9600 is a direct x9 card and beats the ti4200 easily and in AA and AF blows it away.
 
Originally posted by V0ltage
get a ti4200, its cheaper and faster.

Ti4200 might win in DX8.1 games by a little but the Radeon 9600 would blow it away in DX9 games.
 
Originally posted by V0ltage
get a ti4200, its cheaper and faster.

4200 is a last generation card that is slightly faster than the 8500LE I was comparing it to a year ago.


9600 is in an entirely different class
 
I'm a little late but I've got that same card (well... I got the retail version that came with some extra cables) and I love it. It plays everything I throw at it like a champ and is completely silent (my last card was a GF3 with a whingy fan). You're probably not going to get much of an OC out of it but it's definately an impressive card for the money.
 
Back
Top