Is this a full install of winxp pro (and not upgrade?)

frankyk

Gawd
My parents gave me the OEM copy of WinXP Pro and it says "for distribution with a new PC only." and it has the key and such. Should I be okay installing it from bootup? I'm getting a new HD in which I'm just going to pop the disc in and install, any problems? It's not the upgrade version right?

There's a 99.999% chance that the OEM CD you have will not work for you since it's designed to be installed on specific hardware, like a Dell copy of XP on a Dell, etc. OEM copies are typically tied directly to the hardware they came with, sooo... if you happen to have the exact same brand they did or do have, or wherever that copy came from, it might work fine.

I won't go into legality issues concerning the transfer of a license, but to put it bluntly:

The words "For distribution with a new PC only" should be your first clue. :)

I would think for a "new PC" (ie. one that never ever had an OS on it), an upgrade disc would not work so well.

"For distribution with a new PC" implies an Original Equipment Manufacturer built piece of hardware.

OEM software is now widely available and with that questionable "oh, I can't sell OEM software unless it's with some hardware, so here, have a cheap ass PCI NIC, that way I'm 'legit' in my business practices." Talk about a grey area, geezus... what good is a NIC if you're buying an entire operating system that needs a full suite of components to be put to use?

OEM stuff was never meant to be used by anyone but the OEMs like Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. Just because it's now readily available from sources that use that grey area to make it all sound perfectly legit doesn't mean anything has really changed, so the OP can do as he pleases, I guess.

OEMs don't distribute upgrade versions of the OS with a new PC; it's the full version of whatever is printed on the CD/DVD. In fact, finding an OEM "upgrade" edition of anything would be pretty tough to do these days.

what does newegg sell? don't they sell OEM copy's of windows or something?

isn't it the same kind of CD? also, why wouldn't it work in the installation? i have the cd key, it's a legit copy of windows and such, it came with their computer but since then their computer has died (gogo sony vaio's) and it was lying around so they gave it to me.

are computers designed so that it wouldn't work or something?

The CD and the key were "tied" to the Sony machine, so there is a possibility that version of XP simply will not install on any other hardware that's not "official" Sony hardware.

The only way to know is to give it a 'gogogo' I suppose. :)

And yes, Newegg does sell OEM software and operating systems nowadays; just because they do doesn't mean it's a good thing.

My parents gave me ...

Legalities aside, if that disk (and key code) has never been used to install Windows on a PC then it should work without any practical issues involved. Considering that it was for their Sony it's presumably been used and the installation activated.

Legally they were not allowed to give it to you to install on a subsequent PC. Practically, if you try to do so then an attempt to activate the installation will fail.

It was supposed to be thrown in the bin when the Sony died. That was part of the license agreement they entered in to. ;)

if i were to buy RETAIL winxp pro, does that give me infinite licenses? or what does that give me?

i still don't get what's the big difference between OEM and Retail.

OEM is cheaper because you buy it and get a license to bung it on one PC. when that PC dies or becomes disused that Windows license is void, and you're not allowed to bung it on another PC afterwards.

Retail is different in that if the PC dies or its use is discontinued, your windows license is 'perpetual' and you can install it on a replacement PC.

do a lot of people abide to OEM/Retail licensing? i would assume not. what's the point?

Retail = the stuff you buy off the shelf at Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, CompUSA (when you can find a store that's not closing, that is), etc., or from online retailers and will plainly state "RETAIL" somewhere on the advertisement or product listing page. It's the retail boxed packaging, the hologram disc, the COA, any paperwork, etc. It's meant for retail customers, general consumers, and has support direct from Microsoft for a given period of time as noted on the warranty included with the retail boxed product.

OEM = the stuff companies like Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc buy, including persons that have a "System Builder" license like your local 'Mom & Pop' computer stores if you have any in your area. Comprised of just the hologram CD/DVD and the COA. Used on new machines they manufacture that need an OS on them when they leave the factory/store.

Technically, when you have a problem with the OS installed on an OEM machine, you're not supposed to call Microsoft for support - you're supposed to call the OEM that manufacturered the system; hence, the support path is "crippled" in effect since you're not supposed to call Microsoft itself to get help with issues. Typically OEM software will have the disclaimer: "For Distribution With A New PC Only" on the media because it's not supposed to be distributed unless it's on a new PC, obviously.

OEM software really should never have been released to general consumers; it's a mistake that will come back to bite a lot of companies in the ass later on, including Newegg.

Newegg is selling OEM version of Vista and XP, I suspect MS has given the OK for this. I would think MS would not want to lessen the number of retail version they would be able to sell as this would less their profits.

But since the OEM version has no support and the packaging cost is almost none, the greater profit margin might be with the OEM rather than the retail version for MS. That might be driving MS to OK the sale of OEM to Joe average customer directly rather than the local mom and pop PC store.

Now it could be argued that MS is trying to drive the local PC shop out of business by doing this. That would leave only DELL, Sony, HP etc doing the OEM and the retail version available via BB in the future.

And if Microsoft does turn to downloads for selling Vista with the Dells of the world only having a modified OEM version only usable for 30-90 days, just think of the increased cash flow for MS.

Back