Is this a defective PSU?

Sometwo

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Messages
202
I had a power supply that wasn't supplying enough power to the Evga GTX 280 video card so I got a new PSU that could handle it, and after connecting everything and turning on the computer the video card's orange/red light came on and the monitor wasn't getting a signal. I finally connected a different PCI-E power cable to the video card and it works fine.

Why would I have a PCI-E power cable that doesn't appear to work? It's been a long time since I built a computer so I don't know if it was something I did wrong, or the PSU is defective.
 
I take it you triple checked that cable doesnt work?
Have you checked the voltages on that cable?

Another possibility...
Check the PSU specs to see how many amps can be supplied down each cable.
One may not have enough current capability, doubtful but you never know.
 
Could it be that, if you have a multiple rail PSU, that the whichever of the rails the "faulty" PCIe cable was on, already had enough power coming through it to other components that there wasn't enough juice left to power your card?
 
It would be nick do know exactly which PSU you are using...that will help cut down on speculation;)
 
Back
Top