Is this a decent mATX setup?

Hmm.

The case is OK, I guess. I just tried out an Aria and liked it.

Anyway, for a mombox:

Drop from the 2400+ to a 1700+ or 1800+, it's not worth it.

Bump up to an nForce2 motherboard, like an M7NCG. The video performance difference is definitely worth it.

Get two 256MB sticks, or leave it as one 512MB and upgrade later. It'll still beat the pants off of KM400.

Get a FalconRock (also by Speeze), it's a really nice little copper-slugged 80mm HSF. It's a little tall, so you may want to get that other 60mm HSF anyway just in case it doesn't fit properly. Only $13, and a decent heatsink is always useful to have around.
 
Stiletto One said:
Hmm.

The case is OK, I guess. I just tried out an Aria and liked it.

Anyway, for a mombox:

Drop from the 2400+ to a 1700+ or 1800+, it's not worth it.

Bump up to an nForce2 motherboard, like an M7NCG. The video performance difference is definitely worth it.

Get two 256MB sticks, or leave it as one 512MB and upgrade later. It'll still beat the pants off of KM400.

Get a FalconRock (also by Speeze), it's a really nice little copper-slugged 80mm HSF. It's a little tall, so you may want to get that other 60mm HSF anyway just in case it doesn't fit properly. Only $13, and a decent heatsink is always useful to have around.

Umm, my two links didn't say anything about that?
 
Oops. I was looking at BB Gun's.

Bollocks to the "dual channel" kit, just get a pair of good-brand (Mushkin's Basic stuff, for example) 256MB sticks. Cheaper that way, and just as good.

Decent motherboard, from what I hear. I like the M7NCG better, though, because it uses passive northbridge cooling. (I hate all fans under 80mm, and I still hate most 80mm fans. :p)
 
:)

For that school system, I was keeping it as low as I could go.

Since the board being replaced was a KT133A board, I figured absolute speed didn't matter. :D

If you're going to go to an nForce board, the Shuttle AN35N (no video) or MN31N (included video) are both great boards for pretty cheap.

OH damn, newegg doesn't carry the MN31N anymore? Only the MN31L. Shuttle removed the firewire from the board! :mad:

I have no knowledge of that memory. Matched sets are a marketing gimmick though.

BB
 
Back
Top