Is this a bad heatsink mount or just simply bad heatsink and fan combo?

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
I recently bought a Opteron 165 to play with and got it mounted today.

MotherBoard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLi

Temps using Speedfan:
Idle:

37C Case
41C CPU

Load:

40C Case
51C CPU

Heatsink: Thermalright SLK-948U
Fan: Panaflo L1A 42.7cfm 27dBA
Case Cooling: 120mm Cooler Master x 2 (Intake and Exhaust) - Believe these are ~42cfm
Antec 550watt Exhaust Fan.

Does this seem like an issue of a bad heatsink mount or simply bad cooling setup? I've built quite a few systems before, but I havent really paid much attention to temps as they were always reported as low when done with a overclock and stressed. However, this is my first build with a dual core. With these temps, i'm able to push the cpu to 285x9 with a voltage of 1.4. I want to try higher, however temps are a bit high for my liking.

Thanks

-hito

Since you state that your desire is to push the 165 a bit more, you may want to consider upgrading your HS as your current cooling solution is probably holding you back. Research the top three coolers (Scythe Ninja, Thermalright SI-120, and Zalman 9500) and see which one would fit best in your case. With one of the noted coolers, you should be able to reduce load temperatures enough to reach a higher OC.

Also take a look at your case venitlation as the noted case temperature seems a tad high.

Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. I also recorded new temp readings, this time with the side panal on and off:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 532

Side Panal Off:

Idle:

Case: 33C
CPU: 35

Load:

Case: 38C
CPU: 45C

Side Panal On:

Idle:

Case: 33C
CPU: 37C

Load:

Case: 38C
CPU: 49C

So, it would seem as though the case temp remains rather constant and the cpu temp is the one that changes in the given situations. Think it's time to give the old heatsink and fan setup a little upgrade ;) Was looking at the SI-120 and the Zalman 9500 as solutions, as the Scythe Ninja has a little issue with a fan placement on my motherboard.

For the Zalman, looks oh so pretty and it cools a degree or two cooler. However, I don't like the idea of the fan being fixed in there.

For the SI-120, lower performance compared to Zalman, blocks off a dimm slot but fan is removable.

Oh, decisions decisions...

As for the case temp, dunno... it might just be that my ambient temp in my room is high? (Don't have a temperature gauge to find out.)

Ah correct, my mistake, I was looking at the older XP-120 link at thermalright's page. Whoops.

Back