Is thermal paste required?

Radio Shack has a small tube of thermal paste for a few bucks, If not I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will mail you a tube of the stuff that comes free with heat sinks if you send them an envelope. Use something just don't leave it empty.

benamaster said:
Radio Shack has a small tube of thermal paste for a few bucks, If not I'm sure there are plenty of people here who will mail you a tube of the stuff that comes free with heat sinks if you send them an envelope. Use something just don't leave it empty.
Indeed! Send me a PM EgyptBoy20.
Would rather send you a little bubble pack of white goop than see you go naked. :eek:

You know, I just don't understand the logic sometimes. A person is going to spend money on
a new mobo and gfx card, and plan to OC. But won't spend a little extra cash to make sure
it performs optimally.

Susquehannock said:
Indeed! Send me a PM EgyptBoy20.
Would rather send you a little bubble pack of white goop than see you go naked. :eek:

You know, I just don't understand the logic sometimes. A person is going to spend money on
a new mobo and gfx card, and plan to OC. But won't spend a little extra cash to make sure
it performs optimally.
QFT

Warrior said:
in danger of either not getting good contact to your CPU or in danger of not getting good temperatures... sometimes the paste has hardened and you cannot under any circumstances use that shit.... just do it and make us all happy

well said!

Excellent. It took almost 50 posts to convince you, but I'm glad you finally decided to get some thermal compound :)

ChingChang said:
Excellent. It took almost 50 posts to convince you, but I'm glad you finally decided to get some thermal compound :)
yep...we Egyptians have hard heads...
no joke :eek: :(

Quick question: I know I can use mineral spirits on the heatsink, but is it ok to clean the processor with?

You should use something like Isopropyl Alcohol (95%+ is best) and a lint free cloth. Avoid anything with Isopropyl Alcohol that contains other chemicals that will leave a residue or damage the surface.

Arctic silver sells something that works pretty well. And smells like lemon :) But I don't think you want to spend any more money.

ChingChang said:
You should use something like Isopropyl Alcohol (95%+ is best) and a lint free cloth. Avoid anything with Isopropyl Alcohol that contains other chemicals that will leave a residue or damage the surface.

Arctic silver sells something that works pretty well. And smells like lemon :) But I don't think you want to spend any more money.

Got that right ;) So mineral spirits won't work? Will anything besides rubbing alcohol work?

RogueTrip said:
Ive been going about a month re-using some AS5 on my 3.0E P4, i upgraded my mobo and vid card, i heared that it might be the temp sensor that causes different temp readouts along different manufacturers, but used to get around 39~41c idle, now i get 44~47c idle, this isn't soo bad (still really cool to the touch on the HSF), but will probably try to re-apply some AS5/ceramique when i can order online, cause there is no way i'm paying $10.99 for a lil syringe of AS5 from compusa!!

So short answer, if it ain't dry, re-use it :)

A cool HS means ur not sending the heat to the heatsink to begin with =D

The prescot core runs very hot, and like warrior said, the stock thermal jizz gets solid and unusable from the OEM.

what amazes me is that.. the quantity of say..AS5 that you buy, is more than enough for several applications. How is it justifiable not to spend the $7 or whatever and have a little longevity and not risk burning your CPU up, and be able to use the stuff on a couple future applications instead of burning your hardware up..? That's my ultimate quesiton. Sure you don't want to spend money on it..but it's not like you're dropping $7 into the toilet and flushing it. Or $1.99 if you want to get the dow-corning white goop..

serbiaNem said:
A cool HS means ur not sending the heat to the heatsink to begin with =D
Or it means the heatsink is dissipating the heat, but you're probably right on that one since he's using a pentium 4 and "recycling" thermal paste. If temps are fine though, it doesn't matter too much.

Swordfish45 said:
The prescot core runs very hot, and like warrior said, the stock thermal jizz gets solid and unusable from the OEM.
I've heard it being called thermal grease, goop, compound, paste.... that's a first time ever hearing Thermal Jizz though, haha

LOL@ thermal jizz :p :confused:
Well...I ordered the ceramique Tuesday, and I got first class mail. Is there a chance I'll get it tomorrow? I just recieved the new mobo about a half hour ago.

EgyptBoy20 said:
LOL@ thermal jizz :p :confused:
Well...I ordered the ceramique Tuesday, and I got first class mail. Is there a chance I'll get it tomorrow? I just recieved the new mobo about a half hour ago.

Yes, you should get it tommarow if it shipped tues.

Back