Is there still a demand for PCI sound cards?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
Just moved and discovered my various unused PC stuff from over the years. I have a lot of old creative cards, an M-Audio card and more interestingly, a Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim (HDMI audio).

I was wondering if any of these might be worth putting up on eBay of if I should just dump them?

Definitely put them up for sale. They can still be used with PCIe-PCI adapters.

Most people now either use onboard sound or pcie soundcard.

If they are pcie, I would say yes they will sell, if just pci, then they would probably only sell to the odd person with an old pc with pci slots.

Onboard sound has come along way, so you might have problems selling them ???

I only ask because of the high price the HDAV 1.3 is going for on eBay. Of course they can ask that much, that doesn't mean they're going to get it.

Been using the HDMI audio from my NV cards for almost a decade now. Only drawback now is that the rig I use now for 4k only has one HDMI port and the DP's don't provide multi channel support or 24bit/192khz even though the spec does. On that rig I went back to the onboard audio via SPDIF digital coaxial(because it's too far from my receiver to use optic).

For high end gaming using a soundcard can also pose cooling issues if using air depending on where the gpu resides. I've actually still got my last SB, probably audigy 3, in a closet somewhere. Loved 'em back in the day, especially when EAX was a thing, but the time is past and don't really see a need anymore.

About the only thing would be 32bit/384khz processing for DSD equivalents and there's a few slightly affordable plug in options.

Just moved and discovered my various unused PC stuff from over the years. I have a lot of old creative cards, an M-Audio card and more interestingly, a Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Slim (HDMI audio).

I was wondering if any of these might be worth putting up on eBay of if I should just dump them?
More to the point of your question. There's always someone, somewhere who'll have a dedicated need to use. Put at a fair price and sooner or later I'm pretty sure you'll get a bite.

I would put them up for sale. I still have machines running them as I prefer dedicated cards.

I had some decent sound cards in a box too. The issue is that there were no Windows 7 drivers for them.

I’ve got my SB-Z up for sale cheap in case anybody’s interested. Thinking of getting the new SB card.

Back