Is there something out there that will check my hardware and download drivers for me?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Guys,

Is there a program out there where I can let it detect my hardware and download the appropriate updated drivers for me?

Thsi is mainly for my wife and grandparents..

I would really advise against that. You need to personally check the details of every driver (especially the 'known issues' section) before installing it, otherwise you might find all sorts of nasty issues cropping up. Personally, I would still stay away from unnecessary updates.

Do your grandparents really need the latest drivers for all the hardware in their system? And how often are the drivers being updated anyway? Main one I can think of would be video card drivers, but if the current drivers are working fine then why keep updating?

Windows update can do this. I think its all the updating you need for a granny comuter unless he/she is a gamer, lol

John Gault said:
Windows update can do this. I think its all the updating you need for a granny comuter unless he/she is a gamer, lol
Windows Update hardly includes an inclusive list of drivers. It's not even an option unless you have really old, common hardware that should be auto-detected by the OS anyway.

Grimmda said:
Yeah that feature in the later versions of XP is such a waste! Blech :rolleyes:
Bite your tongue!!! :p

The windows drivers often have OEM drivers, which aren't always easy to obtain. Also these drivers are WHQL certified, so they are generally very stable. They are a god send for upgrading older white box PCs to XP. Also, actually visiting windowsupdate site will sometimes show more than what the driver wizard finds.

They of course are generally not what "people like us" would load for a variety of reasons.

OP, there is no one shot solution for what you are looking for. Some vendors like IBM provide a tool that does this, but it's only for their models. My best recommendation is to not upgrade to new drivers. Load everything at once and be done with it.

There's a program called Everest which will detect the hardware in your computer but it won't download (from what I know, only used it once).

Back