Is there something im missing?

I hear the 6800gs is a great card for the money, I have not personally used one though to give first hand recommendation.

Firebat said:
Eh, this one says its got 16 pipes. I don't know if thats true however....
You might be able to unlock the last quad since the AGP 6800 GS uses the NV40 core.

But yeah, looks like another newegg typo.

I recently ordered the XFX 6800GS off of zipzoomfly... The cores do unlock...\
My xfx was $220.... And they are already sold out...

My advice... Grab this one ASAP... I might just grab one of these as well and send my XFX packing.

BLiTzKRiEG said:
I recently ordered the XFX 6800GS off of zipzoomfly... The cores do unlock... but I caught a crap core, the other 4 pipes were damaged, I got lots of artifacting in windows...

My xfx was $220.... And they are already sold out...

My advice... Grab this one ASAP... I might just grab one of these as well and send my XFX packing.

Every one i ask has nothing but good to say about this card. I will grab it tonight

I would maybe grab it before then... as I said... for some reason, these GS cards are very popular... and with that price... expect them going fast... I went ahead and ordered one, and will be parting ways with xfx... I know I know... I'm a BFG !!!!!!, but the fact that I have never had a problem with any NEW BFG card I have purchased, and the one used one that was dead, they RMA'ed no questions asked...

The 6800gs agp is not the same as the 6800gs pci-e the agp one is not as good.

They are two completely different cards...

After doing a ton of research... The 6800 GS AGP is the nv40 core... AKA its a 6800GT with 4 hardware masked pixel pipes, and 1 hardware masked vertex shader. Both ARE unlockable with RivaTuner.

The 6800 GS PCI-e is an nv42 core... It comes with 12 pixel pipes max, (as in there are only 12 pipes, not 16 w/ 4 locked)... and higher clock frequencies... I am betting that the reference design is completely different, hence the people achieving high overclocks with the PCI-e version...

And where did PCI-e come into this discussion? He asked for a sub $200 AGP card... I dont think that you can be a sub $200 6800GT... *cough* erm 6800GS...

BLiTzKRiEG said:
I would maybe grab it before then... as I said... for some reason, these GS cards are very popular... and with that price... expect them going fast... I went ahead and ordered one, and will be parting ways with xfx... I know I know... I'm a BFG !!!!!!, but the fact that I have never had a problem with any NEW BFG card I have purchased, and the one used one that was dead, they RMA'ed no questions asked...

You bastard, if there sold out by tonight i blame you. :cool:

BLiTzKRiEG said:
They are two completely different cards...

After doing a ton of research... The 6800 GS AGP is the nv40 core... AKA its a 6800GT with 4 hardware masked pixel pipes, and 1 hardware masked vertex shader. Both ARE unlockable with RivaTuner.

The 6800 GS PCI-e is an nv42 core... It comes with 12 pixel pipes max, (as in there are only 12 pipes, not 16 w/ 4 locked)... and higher clock frequencies... I am betting that the reference design is completely different, hence the people achieving high overclocks with the PCI-e version...

And where did PCI-e come into this discussion? He asked for a sub $200 AGP card... I dont think that you can be a sub $200 6800GT... *cough* erm 6800GS...

Hes was talking about buying a 6800gs agp I was telling him not because it is not the same as the pci-e counter part.

Thats ok, the memory on the two are the same (1ghz), Which is what really counts.

I still don't understand if he is looking for a sub $200 AGP, how telling him not to get the AGP because the PCI-e 6800GS is better makes any sense...

You bastard, if there sold out by tonight i blame you.

teehee

So the one for AGP may be better than the one for pci-e? Assuming i can manage to unlock the extra pipes.

BLiTzKRiEG Please stay in touch and tell me if you can unlock these pipes, once you get your card.

Im ordering at 7:00 tonight, i hope there not sold out by than.

As I said, you can unlock the pipes... Its just a matter if you get a pick of the litter, or a dud... with the 4 extra pipes... RivaTuner allows it. They are simply hardware masked. A few clicks in RivaTuner and a restart, and you have a 6800GT, assuming that your extra 4 pipes are not corrupted.

Like I said... It does work, its just taking a chance on luck whether you get a fully functional nv40, or one that had some bad pipes that the company decided to trim to 12 and sell as a 6800GS.

Pros: Great card, havent OC'd yet but will, great value and best of all - 16 PIPES COME UNLOCKED STOCK! Just to clarify: Per BFG Tech Support - "The 6800 GS OC does come with all 16 pipes unlocked."...

Cons: Stock cooler, but not really a bad thing because all stock coolers suck.... More »

Other Thoughts: Definitely the best AGP value going right now - 370/1050 stock speeds; very OC capable; 16 pipes stock; 256MB and all for under 200 bucks. Pay an extra $25 and get a Arctic Cooler though.

According to this reviewer, the BFG 6800GS comes with all 16 pipes unlocked! Can anyone else confirm this?

unohoo said:
According to this reviewer, the BFG 6800GS comes with all 16 pipes unlocked! Can anyone else confirm this?

Once i recieve my card i will confirm it, one way or another. But why would it have all pipes unlocked? wouldn't that make it a 6800GT?

Yep... if it has all 16 pipes unlocked, it is a 6800GT... unless the other vertex shader is still locked... simply go unlock it...

I'll let you guys know monday when it gets here.

Update: Should be here tommorow.

I just looked at it again on newegg, they jacked the price to 209$. Looks like i bought at the right time.

It got here yesterday, It did not have all pipelines enabled, and I haven't enabled them yet.
Let me tell you, that thing can overclock. Right now i have it at 375,1.2ghz! no artifacts. It runs doom3 at 60fps and scores 4378 overclocked on 3dmark05.

EDIT: I just unlocked all the pipes, and with out overclocking i reached 4828 in 3dmark05!

I will be back soon with the results of it unlocked AND overclocked.

With the overclock and unlock I just got 5001 3dmarks! Core is at 415mhz and the memory is at 1.15ghz. There is not a single artifact to be found :p I recomand this card to anyone who has an AGP system.

WOOHOO... My BFG 6800GS AGP OC unlocked the 4 extra pipes and the 1 vertex shader... default BFG clock speeds nabbed me a 3dmark05 score of 5316!!

I am gonna start by finding my max OC on air, then later tonight put the waterblock on it... my goal is 6K in 05!

Back