Is there not a way to refresh finder windows in OSX?

sphinx99

[H]ard|Gawd
Seems like a simple enough thing - the contents of a Finder window are out of date (for example when viewing a network share that has had files copied to it) but there's no refresh???

Did some searching - is it true that in 2011 in OSX 10.6.x you have to install programs or write scripts to refresh Finder windows, or force write I/O to them (create a folder) or reboot, to get it to refresh? EEK!

I'm hoping there's a way, some checkbox I have forgotten to tick, because that's not user friendly at all.

Also, is there a way to fresh the "Shared" pane in the left part of a Finder window? It seems to be really, really hit or miss what shows up there. I might have a PC that powers up and has a share, and it shows up on that pane in 60 seconds. Other times, it doesn't show up unless I reboot. Sometimes, not even that works. I haven't found a "refresh" or "rescan" for this either.

I think clicking on a particular share to open would refresh finder right away. But I never found a need to refresh finder because it refreshes itself almost instantly.

For example, I would have a network share open in Finder, while a program from another machine would write on that network share. Finder would refresh itself on the fly and the files would appear as soon as there are written.

In my case, that is not working, so I am trying to figure out how to refresh the window without rebooting.

Well, in the extreme case, you can use the Force Quit window to relaunch finder, but that seems a bit extreme.

Sadly, I've never even heard of this issue before today, so I've no idea how to go about doing so, finder refreshes automatically, or close-enough-to-it-to-not-matter.

I did some searching and it turns out nothing's wrong per say. Finder apparently does not always refresh properly, and lots of people have issues with network shares not refreshing all the time, particularly when connected via wifi. There are some third-party apps that solve this problem, and creating a new folder in a finder window does appear to trigger finder to refresh that window.

If your window isn't refreshing when files are changed/added, then there's something wrong.

Not true on network shares with CIFS. Many times when adding files to my fileserver I'll have to go back a dir, then go in to the dir again to see the new additions. Local filesystems always update immediately but not remote filesystems.

Back