is there more to borderlands??(possible spoilers)

Filter

[H]F Junkie
ok i just finished the vault killed the end guy now what? who was the chick guiding you. was really the vault? there were no riches or anything like that? i spent all that time to kill one guy and now the vault is sealed for another 200 years.

i thought the game was awesome but wtf is with the ending i feel really cheated.

if you quit to the main menu and load up your save, you can start play through 2, which is basically going through the game again with a couple new enemies added, and the ability to continue leveling up your character to 50.

if you quit to the main menu and load up your save, you can start play through 2, which is basically going through the game again with a couple new enemies added, and the ability to continue leveling up your character to 50.

but did i miss something along the story? or does playthrough 2 give out more information?

Spoiler:

The thing guiding you is a satellite (??? lol). Did you not get a cutscene after killing the boss? Yeah, was expecting some kind of alien weapons to drop from 50 chests or some shit. But nope. End of the game. Really lame.

I never got the satellite cut scene (PC) but yeah, thats the end of it. Pretty lame ending, no doubt. It wouldn't have been so bad if theyd bothered to explain a little more at the end. A minute or two of dialogue would have made it not so bad.

*** spoilers!!!!! ***

heres an idea of what it might sound like

"There is no vault, the vault is a prison/doorway to another dimension. It was built long ago by the Eridians (who are guarding it by the way) and every 200 years the vault can be opened and a monster comes out. Sorry, but I suckered you into killing the monster because I knew the Eridians couldn't keep it in, (thanks to the Crimson Lance) and the CL couldn't handle it either."

Elaborate on that more and I think the short ending wouldn't have been so painful. That combined with crappy drops from the destroyer was salt in the wound.

is the ending like FO3 lame? yes and no, there's actually a final boss fight in borderlands however the disappointment level when it's over is pretty much on par with FO3.

I heard another theory on some forums:
There is no vault of treasures, the gateway opens a portal to another dimension where a supreme being must feed every 200 years, and every 200 years the satellite tricks a treasure hunter into being that sacrifice

The ending in Borderlands is one of the worst that I can recall. Seriously, it wasn't just "unfulfilling" or "disappointing" -- it was HORRIBLE. The end boss was also complete child's play to kill, with no reward.

Borderlands has been a huge disappointment for me, hopefully Dragon Age won't be.

I'm just hoping the DLC will have a left 4 deadish (or gears of war...) survival mode considering it's called zombie island. That in itself will be reason enough to attempt finding better weapons while my characters sit at 50.

that is the end. i was pretty let down as well but saw it coming as the story is paper thin and by the time i hit rust commons east i just wanted to get it over with as doing mission after mission (almost always the same - and the same old enemies - both given a few variances in theme) was getting old. doubt i will be doing a second play through. the game started off kick ass and quickly descended into repetitive purgatory.

Last edited:
So I just read the synopsis of Borderlands on Wikipedia. I want that five minutes of my life back. So glad I didn't buy into the hype and get this game.

Even FO3 and its lame ending had a ray of hope - by the time I played FO3, Broken Steel had been announced and everyone knew it would continue the story. Besides, I get what Bethseda was trying to do there, it was good story, it just didn't make for a satisfying game ending.

But the Borderlands ending? Wow. No wonder there are a bazillion weapons. They need to distract you from the paper-thin plot.

however the disappointment level when it's over is pretty much on par with FO3.

Well to be fair I was expecting more plot in FO3. Didn't have any expectations in terms of plot for Borderlands. The fact that there was a plot surprised me.

Also, the ending for FO3 happend after many more hours of investment.

Borderlands was like meh, bad plot is bad, but I don't care because I didn't get this game for plot.

So I just read the synopsis of Borderlands on Wikipedia. I want that five minutes of my life back. So glad I didn't buy into the hype and get this game.
I'm not sure what people were expecting from a game like borderlands in terms of plot. I sure didn't heat up any popcorn and await the story telling of my life. I blasted some baddies apart and got phat lootz. That's what the game's about.

I'm not sure what people were expecting from a game like borderlands in terms of plot. I sure didn't heat up any popcorn and await the story telling of my life. I blasted some baddies apart and got phat lootz. That's what the game's about.

To me it's less about the plot itself and more about the fact that the pacing in the game was so strange -- that last boss was the easiest of them all, and there was nearly zero reward from killing him. That game has zero replayability for me (I barely made it through the full game the first time around), and is one of the biggest disappointments this year. Just because you can find loot doesn't mean I care...reminds me of Torchlight.

Dragon Age has thankfully fulfilled its promises of being a Bioware RPG (i.e. hasn't disappointed).

EDIT: I also just want to mention that I absolutely adored Diablo 2 when I played it, but Diablo seems to have the x-factor that neither Borderlands nor Torchlight has. It's the same reason that Titan's Quest (no matter how good it was) faded from memory so quickly.

They have already announced two new DLC's, one was suppost to be released at launch but got delayed a bit, one of the two will be a continuation of the ending, possibly more information.

EDIT: I also just want to mention that I absolutely adored Diablo 2 when I played it, but Diablo seems to have the x-factor that neither Borderlands nor Torchlight has. It's the same reason that Titan's Quest (no matter how good it was) faded from memory so quickly.

The X Factor is called Battle.net

With no real multiplayer support there's no reason to keep playing. It's difficult to host a game on the PC and there's cheaters abound due to the characters being client side. There's also little incentive for repetition in Borderlands due to the lack of reward for killing bosses vs. relooting a chest.

Torchlight - no multiplayer.

Titan Quest - Again, client side character storage. No support from the company (it went under IIRC).

The X Factor is called Battle.net

With no real multiplayer support there's no reason to keep playing. It's difficult to host a game on the PC and there's cheaters abound due to the characters being client side. There's also little incentive for repetition in Borderlands due to the lack of reward for killing bosses vs. relooting a chest.

Torchlight - no multiplayer.

Titan Quest - Again, client side character storage. No support from the company (it went under IIRC).

Great point, so there you go - the client side storage of character information was always going to be a problem with a game like this, so I'm just surprised that they did it. I feel like this game would have a much longer shelf life than it will now...

The name of the planet is the first thing you see when the game starts: "Pandora"

Just look at the original legend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora's_box#Opening_of_the_.22box.22

Nevertheless, I don't know why games like this (Diablo, Hellgate: London, Titan's quest, etc) all stink at delivering a good story. It's obviously not the main focus, but there's no reason they can't still have a good story to go with the action.

Nevertheless, I don't know why games like this (Diablo, Hellgate: London, Titan's quest, etc) all stink at delivering a good story. It's obviously not the main focus, but there's no reason they can't still have a good story to go with the action.

I don't think it's mutually exclusive, but I think speaking solely for Borderlands, if the developers couldn't pay attention enough to notice that the stats for weapons cut off because the text is too large, a story is probably a bit too much to ask for.

Maybe Bioware and Blizzard can join forces for Diablo 4 ;)

Also... NO ZOMBIES please. I bought Borderlands BECAUSE it isn't just another stupid zombie shooter. I could care less about zombies. I bought L4D and played it for about 20 minutes then got bored. Leave Borderlands zombie free!

Long live the No Zombie Genre!

I never got the satellite cut scene (PC) but yeah, thats the end of it. Pretty lame ending, no doubt. It wouldn't have been so bad if theyd bothered to explain a little more at the end. A minute or two of dialogue would have made it not so bad.

*** spoilers!!!!! ***

heres an idea of what it might sound like
<snip>

This is how I interpreted it. Lame or not, I don't think it matters. Buying this game for the plot is like buying L4D or Killing Floor for the plot. It's still a great game to play with my buddies.

of course there is more to borderlands, they are going to release dlc and later on borderlands 2 in the future

-spoiler free-

While I wasn't in this for story, the combination of the lack of end boss loot paired with the (cool but underutilized concept and slightly ambiguous) lame ending sorta made me feel gypped.

side note: I wish there was a way to start a new character at something like level 30 for playthrough two, because I really don't feel like playing through the whole game again just to get a hunter character up to a playable level.

Yeah the story is gimp especially the ending but not a deal breaker IMO. the journey there is fun as hell!

-spoiler free-

While I wasn't in this for story, the combination of the lack of end boss loot paired with the (cool but underutilized concept and slightly ambiguous) lame ending sorta made me feel gypped.

side note: I wish there was a way to start a new character at something like level 30 for playthrough two, because I really don't feel like playing through the whole game again just to get a hunter character up to a playable level.

I agree. I mean, the bosses in general were not that challenging, but the final boss was a complete joke. If there was no playthrough 2, loot wouldn't be as much of an issue. But since there is... why not drop at least an orange item? It's stupid.

Back