is there gonna be a new TRIBES game?

NewMonster

Limp Gawd
i really like tribes vengeance.... it feels jus like ut2004! and the most part u can fly!!! i really like the gameplay however the graphic is kindda suck...

so r they gonna make a new tribes game with next gen grpahic?

There are rumours that despite Vengeance tanking somebody somewhere is looking at the franchise closely.

T:V wasn't really a tribes game, it was basically a UT2k4 mod, greatly streamlined (dumbed down) from the real thing, but the success of more meaty large scale FPS like BF2 shows that gamers may be ready for something a bit more complicated again.

I desperately want a real Tribes 3.

Tribes: Vengeance was a lot worse than Tribes 2. I also hope they make a Tribes 3 (but without all the bugs that 2 had).

There will be no new tribes game sadly.

Gragegames, who is mostly saffed by former Dynamix employees has been working on a new tech demo for the Torque engine called Legions. It is VERY tribes like, but is just a demo. It really stirred up a lot of hope in the community but nothing new has come out about it since the GDC 2006.

Random links:
http://www.legionsgame.com <--- seems to no longer work
http://public.garagegames.com/ricko/Legions-1.jpg
http://public.garagegames.com/ricko/Legions-2.jpg
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=1163

Two vids released at GDC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rOPjGTgzrE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZDAcyfpA1c

Earlier demos:
http://www.einterweb.com/tws/blog_3.wmv
http://www.tribalwar.com/~colosus/movement_test_21.wmv

If Vivendi has half a brain they will pick up GarageGames and allow them to use the Tribes name.

That Legions game looks friggin awesome.

DermicSavage said:
Vivendi did send an offer, but they refused

I guess it might be their way of giving the finger to Vivendi after closing Dynamix. Is there a dev blog where they say that or is it just a rumor?

This game looks FANTASTIC, just about everything looks the same as Tribes. Well, except for the GIANT HELMET dude. Even the flags are excatly the same. If the maps are that big it would truly be an epic game.

When this game comes out I REALLY hope it does well, the future of jetpack combat relies on it. :D

Except it wont be a game, it is just a tech demo for their Torque Shader Engine(TSE).

It will not be a complete game, just some basic functions in all areas to outline the engine's ability.

I can always keep hoping for another Tribes. :(

T1 was fun (occationally still play it). T2 was much better (play every couple of days), except for the occational "unhandled exception". TV was ok, but it really lost something there.

DermicSavage said:
Except it wont be a game, it is just a tech demo for their Torque Shader Engine(TSE).

It will not be a complete game, just some basic functions in all areas to outline the engine's ability.

There is an interview at TribalWar that says they might make it into a full game.

Monkey34 said:
T1 was fun (occationally still play it). T2 was much better (play every couple of days), except for the occational "unhandled exception". TV was ok, but it really lost something there.

I'm exactly the opposite with it. I loved T1, T2 was a buggy piece of garbage that was released to the public in early beta, and after the TV demo I just gave up.

One word. Skiing.

The way Tribes worked with skiing was fan-f-ing-tastic. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to that in a recent game. The only other multiplayer game that I've played even close to as much as I've played Tribes is MW4. The reasons for this was the large outside areas of MW4, and jump jets. Unfortunatly, no skiing. :) But I loved caputure the flag in both games.

anything made after the first tribes... shouldn't even be allowed to have the name of tribes.. Tribes was just so god damn fucking good..

i like them all, vengeance felt like tribes one to me, without any of the mods for it. i did like the grappling hook.

tribes 2 sucked in the early days, i cant find my copy to go back and play again, it was so buggy and laggy, and why the hell they moved all the controls around when the first setup was almost perfect.

i cant say they will never make a tribes game again, it will just be awhile if it somehow gets resurrected. i dont think vengeance was bad at all, just seemed to much effort went into single player than the multiplayer.

Spanner said:
One word. Skiing.

The way Tribes worked with skiing was fan-f-ing-tastic. Nothing, and I mean nothing, comes close to that in a recent game. The only other multiplayer game that I've played even close to as much as I've played Tribes is MW4. The reasons for this was the large outside areas of MW4, and jump jets. Unfortunatly, no skiing. :) But I loved caputure the flag in both games.

Agreed. No other game comes close to what Tribes was, and still is. Its much faster than any other FPS game out there, still.

In my opinion, T2 sucked, very badly at launch. I was in the beta, and there was far too many things broken to even think about releasing it. We told them not to launch it, but they did anyways. It wasnt until a user created mod, that made it playable, and much more like the first game. TV was fun, more true to the original, but too many bugs, only one small patch didnt fix it.

From way back in Feb. 2004'...
T2sucks.JPG

eastvillager said:
bf 2142 looks like tribes to me, and without the lame skiing and scripting exploits. :)

Skiing was originally an exploit but became a feature when the entire community and even developers embraced it. I love Skiing, I think it makes the Tribes feel.

True, true. T1 was the best, no doubt about it. Anyone go to any of the UVA's? Ive been several times.

TribesAlum.jpg

Something my brother made for me long ago. I had it on the side of my case, back in the day. :)

Tribes 1 will always be my first love when it comes to FPS.

No game has ever come close to the fun I had/still have in that game.

Xrave said:
Tribes 1 will always be my first love when it comes to FPS.

No game has ever come close to the fun I had/still have in that game.

Tribes one is the game that brought me into the gaming world. Love it now and always will

heh, yeah. High Tolerance!!! Also was in, (ELITE), The Abusive, [OxY], and Vanguard. Not sure how old school you are, you may not know them.

I remember the first run of [IE], S3, 5150 coming about... Synergy, etc, etc..

damn, i miss the game right now. No other game ever had the extra dimension of flight/skiing, and Clustering.

Mine Disk, anyone?

I think I nearly pooped myself the first time i saw Heavy O flying to my base on Raindance.

TV died due to lack of punkbuster/anti cheat, server side memory leaks, and lack of good modification tools.

T2 sucked early on and then the community/patches made it a lot more fun. (our clan still has 70 person matches every month or two). I mean defenseturret/ and the better base++ or classic mod and lots of great maps made it so much fun. Plus I loved playing arena.

T1 was just simply amazing.. I played renegades mod and that was a challenge as a deployer.

I THINK, we should download it (its free) and set a night for all of us to play! Im not oldschool anymore though :'(

Ive still got it installed, and play every week or so. There are still lots of people who play it, and are still very good. Its just like 200megs installed, so I have just always kept it.

Probably not. If so, I doubt VU will be funding it.

I would love a Tribes 2 with updated graphics and players (because no one plays it anymore). It was one of the best games ever.

Tribes 1 was ok but the game needed to have a lot of scripts installed to make it work right. If you didn't know about them, then everyone would have a huge leg up on you.

Cmon guys.........T2 for everone. I play every week. We should all meet up.

there's that one katabatic server that's always full on tribes 2 still

i'm still rockin an old socket a system and i runs tribes great...

i just can't get over t2..

in all honesty i've let my gaming rig antiquate(sp?) because tribes didn't continue releases...

i would buy 5 copies of legions if they would release it... i mean come on just freaking make it .... i neeeeed it...

cheers,

mal

I can still see my copy of Tribes2 out of the corner of my eye on the shelf. I'm in if we get this game going.

NewMonster said:
i really like tribes vengeance.... it feels jus like ut2004!

And that is why the game bombed. Tribes 1 and 2 had something special and they turned Tribes Vengeance into a UT2004 mod.

I HATE Unreal Tournament!!!!

there's talk of a tribes mod for quake wars...that's probably as close as your going to come

Tribes is free now. I was playing the other day, good times. I remeber how cool it was when it first released. GOd, makes me feel old.

Back