Is there anyway I can detect who is using my wireless network?

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
Let's assume that I am using a wireless router without encryption. This means that people can use Wi-Fi to access my internet and use up my bandwidth.

Is there anyway (from some type of software) that I can detect who is using my internet via Wi-Fi?

what router are you using? most that I've seen, will show you a list of computers (by name or mac address) that are and/or have ever connected to it.

Check your arp tables to see the IP, mac addy, and client name.

Next to the logical solution of cranking up WPA on your wireless...there are indeed quite a few network monitoring programs for your wireless, such as AirSnare. Google "wifi intrusion detection" will yield a few hours worth of pages to sort through.

i had the same problem. what i did in the end was i bought a wired router (not wireless).

i had the same problem. what i did in the end was i bought a wired router (not wireless).

You do know...that with a wireless router..you can log into the web admin and disable the wireless component...(turn off the wireless).

but people can still see you, on their network. they wont be able to access it but...

I can assure you, if you have a wireless router with the wireless off, it is just a wired router and people not on your network cannot see you.

but people can still see you, on their network. they wont be able to access it but...
Um.... what don't you understand about turning something off? What stonecat was saying was to turn the antennas off, if they're off they can't broadcast/transmit a wireless frequency hence the waves do not exist. You can't see something that doesn't exist.

Its much like turning a light bulb on and off, I assume you have done this once or twice.

Back