Is there anything wrong with this build?

meme

Limp Gawd
It's been 10 years since I've built a PC from scratch, so I might be a bit out of the loop. I was surprised, for example, to find out that cases no longer have drive bays for DVD drives.

Is anything terribly wrong here or incompatible? I'm going to keep my current R9 270 graphics card until I'm ready to upgrade that. This is just a general gaming PC, I won't be overclocking anything, and I only have a 1080P monitor. I may want to get into VR gaming at some point, and then I'd certainly need a high end graphics card.

PC Hound Part List

CPU: AMD AMD Ryzen 5 1600 ($201.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 GA-AB350-GAMING 3 (rev. 1.0) ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W S12II Series S12II 620 Bronze (SS-620GB) ($41.89 @ Newegg)
Storage: WD 1TB Blue WD10EZEX ($49 @ Amazon)
Case: COOLER MASTER MasterBox Lite 5 MCW-L5S3-KANN-01 ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $597.82
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated by PC Hound

Well, your GPU will certainly be the part holding you back from a gaming perspective, but it shouldn't be bad.

I would seriously consider springing for a SSD to at least boot from. You've got a M2 slot, and something in the 250-500GB range shouldn't cost you much. I'm a big fan of the Samsung drives, though they're a bit pricey if you're trying to hit a budget. Newegg has the 256GB ASX8000NPC-256GM-C for $120, and its slightly slower but larger capacity 512GB ASX7000NP-512GT-C for $160. If you can grab the 512 GB drive, that might be enough space to not even pick up your WD 1TB Blue drive.

Alternatively, slightly slower but my preferred brand the 850 EVO is always a solid device and the 500GB unit comes in around $140.

In either case, use of a SSD will make your machine simply *feel* faster in general use. It won't make a huge difference once most games are loaded up and gameplay is actually happening, but 100% of the rest of the time (outside of games, during loading, etc) it'll be a huge difference.

Additionally, you *should* consider a lightweight overclock on your 1600. The stock cooler is pretty decent, and folks get good speeds from them. Guru3D managed to get 3.9 GHz out of their 1600 using the stock cooler - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-1600-review,23.html

Well, your GPU will certainly be the part holding you back from a gaming perspective, but it shouldn't be bad.

I would seriously consider springing for a SSD to at least boot from. You've got a M2 slot, and something in the 250-500GB range shouldn't cost you much. I'm a big fan of the Samsung drives, though they're a bit pricey if you're trying to hit a budget. Newegg has the 256GB ASX8000NPC-256GM-C for $120, and its slightly slower but larger capacity 512GB ASX7000NP-512GT-C for $160. If you can grab the 512 GB drive, that might be enough space to not even pick up your WD 1TB Blue drive.

Alternatively, slightly slower but my preferred brand the 850 EVO is always a solid device and the 500GB unit comes in around $140.

In either case, use of a SSD will make your machine simply *feel* faster in general use. It won't make a huge difference once most games are loaded up and gameplay is actually happening, but 100% of the rest of the time (outside of games, during loading, etc) it'll be a huge difference.

Additionally, you *should* consider a lightweight overclock on your 1600. The stock cooler is pretty decent, and folks get good speeds from them. Guru3D managed to get 3.9 GHz out of their 1600 using the stock cooler - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-1600-review,23.html

Thanks for the advice. I've never had a SSD. I should read up on them and see what I think. They're obviously not all that expensive.

And yeah, I know my GPU is older now. I will definitely be upgrading that before too long, once I get around to deciding if I really want to get into VR gaming or not. The idea of VR games seems extremely cool, but right now the games available for it seem to be not all that good.

I was super excited about VR gaming, until I saw the games that came out for VR gaming. I guess I'm in the minority that I would be fine with a bunch of 'cockpit' type games, or normal FPS games where my head is just on a swivel. Basically, I was looking for the VR headset to provide a full-FOV replacement for a standard monitor, rather than a full replacement for a standard way of gaming.

If you do ever go VR, aiming at VR gaming is a fairly lofty point - GTX 1070 performance and up would be recommended - since you've gotta maintain 90 FPS at a resolution of 2190x1200. And unlike normal gaming, it's not maintain an average of 90 FPS, it's maintain a *minimum* of 90 FPS.

Ssd makes computing so much better. You don't know how frustrating a hard drive is until you live without one.

Back