Is there any way to test if a SD card is SDHC?

cheerful

n00b
Not sure if this is the right forum. Maybe I should post to storage.

If I only have a SDHC compliant reader, is there any way to find out if a SD card is SDHC or the standard version?

Thanks!

From what I understand, SD cards 2GB and lower are 'regular sd'. SDHC is 4GB and above, although there are very few 'regular' 4GB SD cards, altohugh most of the 4GB SD card I've seen are SDHC.

The original SD standard only support 1GB capacity. Manufacturer made up to 4GB regular SD card before SDHC standard came out.

My question is: given a card w/ no label, is there any way to determine if it's SDHC or regular?

if your device accepts SDHC cards, it is backwards compatible with standard Secure Digital (SD) cards

That's not the question. The question is:

how to find out if a SD card is a regular or SDHC one with a SDHC compatible reader.

Stick it in a device that only reads SD cards, not SDHC, obviously... SDHC cards are 4GB and larger, which narrows it down considerably. One would think the manufacturer could offer this information on the product's spec page...

If it's a 4GB SDHC card and you put it inside some older piece of hardware that can't recognize/read SDHC content, you'll know it. But, the twist: some older devices can't read over 1GB cards at all, and some can't read over 2GB cards... how's that for a wrench in the works?

I don't have a device that reads non-SDHC SD card only. It's the other way around: I have a SDHC reader. I want to know if a card is SD or SDHC.

Check which file system it uses. If it uses FAT16, then it's almost certainly a standard SD card.

Back