Is there any way to install CS 1.6 without Steam?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm currently at a LAN party, but I refuse to install that steam crap all over my freshly formatted computer. I also hate counter strike, but I'm bored and nobody wants to use my BF dedicated server. Go figure.

Anyway, 1.5 was acceptable (read, sucked, but I would install it), but these people won't play anything but 1.6

There's got to be a way to install CS 1.6 without infecting your computer with steam....

steam2.gif

There was some russian site that was posted recently that apparently did it. I didn't download it so i can't vouch for it. Search the last few pages of the forum (read: ctrl-f)

Originally posted by goku238
There was some russian site that was posted recently that apparently did it. I didn't download it so i can't vouch for it. Search the last few pages of the forum (read: ctrl-f)

The only thing is, that you the 1.6 without Steam wouldn't get updated as often.

Steam works fine on my computer, I don't know what your talking about.

i like how steam is easy and its like ...not n00b gamespy... but idont think it should have to be had.

Yeah, I found that last night, but none of the download links function.

Ehh... I convinced everybody to use 1.5 for the tourney.

you people and your hate for steam....

it makes finding your friends a ton easier and it's not that big of a deal like everything thinks it is....just dont leave it running when you're not going to play because it uses like 20,000k of memory just sitting there....

it's not that big of a deal and takes not time to set up....

Give it a try since it came out a lot has been fixed. Only problem I have on 40 computers is on mine at home and I can't find servers. Tried everything and I am to lazy to fix it so I get friends to find servers we can play in. Other then that it's really quite good and I am surprised I really hated it in the beginning.

"Hey lets download a 500k file then it downloads over 1GB of needed files!" Get the 700+MB install by the way which I think is the only way I would do it now. By the way whats up with the website it looks like a geocities site?

-Tron

I never had to download gigs of data. Just install Half Life from the cd before you install steam and it just has to patch it...which takes like 5 minutes on a decent connection.

They kind of just said "fuck you" to dial-up users. I am one of them.

That pic is a very adequate description of steam...

Originally posted by FiZ
They kind of just said "fuck you" to dial-up users. I am one of them.

so downloading an 80mb upgrade to cs was a lot different ? no it wasn't, it's the same thing.....that statement is just completely wrong....

so downloading an 80mb upgrade to cs was a lot different ? no it wasn't, it's the same thing.....that statement is just completely wrong....
No its the part where you HAVE to download it, I kind of like the option of picking when to download the update without having the game running and having it auto update.

Originally posted by FiZ
No its the part where you HAVE to download it, I kind of like the option of picking when to download the update without having the game running and having it auto update.
So small auto updates are a bad thing? And you can indeed choose when it updates. Turn off auto updating or don't run the program when you're not playing.

Maybe I am just bitter that every update after beta 7 was utter shit ;) . Kinda gave up on it.

Back