Is there any way to get on the beta of longhorn?

TheDarkTao

Gawd
Hi,
I am building a new system. It is anthalon 64 based.

I would like to start off using longhorn.
Does anyone know how I could get on the beta?

What are the pros and cons of running it so far?
I can't find allot of info so far, so any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Only if you are a beta tester or would like to be one. According to the Microsoft link, they are accepting beta testers to test out Longhorn.

[MS]

Just a guess... but you sound like you work for micro soft.... I would love to beta longhorn... any suggestions or good words you can put in for me?

As I'm not in the Windows group, I don't always follow their release plans that closely. Combine that with the fact that the only unreleased products I have permission to discuss in detail are those from my own division (developer tools)...

I can tell you that very early bits were released at PDC a while back and that currently MSDN subscribers can download builds of Longhorn. At some point Longhorn will obviously hit beta status, and the best advice I can give you is to sign up to become a beta tester using the link already provided earlier in the thread.

I signed up... Does anyone think there is a major problem as using beta longhorn as my main OS in my new comp?

TheDarkTao said:
I signed up... Does anyone think there is a major problem as using beta longhorn as my main OS in my new comp?
Yep, it's may not be stable, or how do the drivers perform? I'd only use it as a test rig.

TheDarkTao said:
Does anyone think there is a major problem as using beta longhorn as my main OS in my new comp?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Beta OSes are not intended for production or other critical environments. Put it on a second rig, one that you don't mind a total data wipe on.

TheDarkTao said:
What would be the 64bit OS of choice then right now?

As far as Windows goes, you have three options:

1. Install a 32bit OS. The system will act like a normal 32bit system, with the exception that if the OS is winXP SP2 it will also have NX enabled (a hardware\software security mechanism).
2. Install the RC of Windows XP x64 Edition. This is in RC mode though it's not final. So I think you can download and install it for free, but I don't know how long the RC will be supported once the final version is released. It'll work for the short term though.
3. Install the RC of Windows Server 2003. Again, this isn't the final version, but you could install and use it for now.

As far as non-Windows OSes go, there are several *nix variants that can be installed on 64bit, but I don't often go searching for them, so I don't have a handy list.

edit: fixed link

TheDarkTao said:
Sweet free windows....
I just DLed it...
Is there a catch or something...
Yup, the Windows team asks that if you hit any issues, that you send them feedback.

Also keep these in mind:
- Prerelease versions of Windows are time limited. Depending on the version\release it could be 120 days, 6 months, or 1 year. After that period the system will not allow login.
- Prerelease versions of Windows are not garanteed to be supported unless stated.
- Prerelease vesions of Windows are not normally supported by Windows update.

It will let me know how long I have left correct?
I would love to let microsoft know what is good/bad with the OS. I think it will make for a much better product (good call microsoft)

Also, will winXP normal drivers be compatable? Sorry, I am really new to 64bit, but very excited about trying it out...

***EDIT*** It says win2k3 not win XP, yet when I picked the DL, it was winXP 64bit addition... Is that normal? I have not run it yet, comp wont be up for a few days...

you have 360 days. I can't remember if they tell you when you're getting close, but I'm sure the final will be out before then in which case you'll want to move to that anyway. Final or future betas won't support updating from the current though.

Yes, you need special drivers. You'll want to check your manufactures download pages for those. I believe MS is using 2k3 as the base for the 64bit xp builds so that shold be correct. Pretty sure the newest external build of xp 64bit is 1289 so you should be good as long as you have that.

longhorn beta1 won't be out till june... so you must wait then... and also have a subsciption

Back