Is there any software I can use for managing files across media?

Nazo

2[H]4U
After I got my new DAP I rededicated my old one to staying in my car 100% of the time since my new one has a crappy interface for use in a car (though ironically the same interface is 10x better for sitting down and listening I think.) I just got a lovely EeePC system and on occasion I'd rather just listen on it, so I copied all of the music I usually listen to onto a SD card. So now I have the same music kept in THREE seperate locations... One thing I kind of started doing was using the SD card as the primary thing I manage since it's really easy to copy any changes from it to the two players (especially with the EeePC and its built in card reader.) This is really easy when it comes to adding new files since I just use "cp -Ru" and it will copy only changed files. However, when I want to rename a file or delete one, I have to seperately do this on all three media... Not a particularly fun thing to do. It's absolutely out of the question to just delete and copy over everything when I make any major changes though. Not only does that end up taking forever, but really I'm kind of inclined to think that I may actually end up keeping this player for long enough that I really don't want to waste those write cycles on such a thing (yes, there are a LOT of write cycles, but I see no reason they should be needlessly wasted in such a large amount.)

I'm wondering if there might be some sort of program or something that can essentially treat a media as a "mirror" of sorts where it will just remove any removed files and copy over any new files automatically (I don't mind if it ends up deleting the original and copying over when I rename though that is admitedly a bit wasteful.)

Anyone have any ideas? At this point I'm actually adding yet another location to manage as I just got in my new 2.5" drive for my enclosure and this gives me a lot of space that basically isn't really dedicated to anything, some of which I thought would be nice to fill with music. (I use this sometimes on different PCs.)

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, I wonder if it could maybe be done with some sort of scripting? Either using some of the more advanced batch file commands or even something bash based using Cygwin? Is anyone more familiar with these things that can tell me if it can maybe be done that way? This is definitely one of those cases where simpler is better (especially since I'd like to synchronize from my EeePC from time to time and definitely don't want to be installing any complex programs on it for such a simple task. I do have Cygwin installed on it though because I use a lot of those linux commands on a regular basis.)

Back