IS there any possible way to make dsl faster?

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
Im running dsl right now. it runs really fast right now but when i download its runs kinda fast. it runs like it should. my friend did something to his dsl and when he downloads the same things i do it goes 3 times as fast. is there anyway to make dsl faster. he wasnt sure how he did it. i thought i might ask to see if anyone knew if it was possible or if it was just the connection at the time.

Mabie he tweaked a setting some where and thats whats causing what seems to be a speed increase.
But you can not make your line faster with out buying more bandwith from your isp

What about cat 3 cat 4 cat 5 cat 6 cabels would that make it faster? which one should i use????

I would imagine your friend has a faster connection to you..... unlike cable connections, it is not possible to hack your modem to achieve faster speeds, as xDSL speeds are defined at the DSLAM at your ISP.... meaning its not possible for the customer to alter the connection speed, in either direction....

It is also possible your friend has a lower contention ratio connection, for example a business grade DSL, meaning that he would not be sharing available bandwidth to as many other users as if he were running a home grade connection.... he may also have multiple DSL lines with a load balancing router for example (for all you know he might?)

The following are factors which can affect the varying speeds;

1. Number of files downloading at one given time
2. Routes to servers which files are being downloaded from
3. Users at that given time on the server your friend is using
4. Number of users he is sharing bandwidth with at his ISP (online at that time)
5. Connection his ISP has as a backbone and number of hops between servers

There are many reasons why his connection may be faster than yours, but most likely he just has a faster connection.... which he would obviously be paying extra for.,...

Originally posted by DRJ1014
I know i was just typing and wasnt thinking thanks for the correction

about wut? more spec please
If you have cable (and a nic) that "supports" 10/100/1000, there is no way in hell (unless your on a 500 cable modems load balanced) that your going to use all of that.

There is no networking cable that will increase you DSL download speeds.
No matter what anyone says, it will not help.

DSL is a fixed data pipe coming into your home.

Cable speed varies at times due to userload, but dsl speed is set at the ISP and does not vary.

Maybe your friend setup a priority based queueing configuration. You may have noticed that if you were downloading a file and uploading at the same time, that your download probably goes to crap, since the upload hogs the upload bandwidth and dosen't allow for the download to use its max potential.

What is the different cabels then cat3 cat5 cat6 and cat7. what do they do to it or the network? or r they just there to make more money

What is the different cabels then cat3 cat5 cat6 and cat7. what do they do to it or the network? or r they just there to make more money

more money obviously. :rolleyes:

signal degradation, signal quality etc.. are all addressed differently in the different cables. generally the higher the number, the higher frequency the cable can handle. (cat 7 - 750MHz, cat 5 - 100Mhz, cat 5e 350Mhz, cat 6 500Mhz)
http://www.mycableshop.com/2nd_Cat/Networking.htm

If you qre using dsl use a cat6 for your dsl line. it woks a lot better
:rolleyes:

But seriously... Unless he's running a download acceleration proggy. (Makes multiple connections to the server and each connection pulls a smaller piece of the file simultaneously) or Had his DSL package upgraded w/o telling you, There's not much to tweak...

If you qre using dsl use a cat6 for your dsl line. it woks a lot better

Yea, because that 6 feet of Cat6 cable after the modem is going to make a huge difference, compaired to the thousands of feet of POTS's telephone grade twisted grade wire between your house and the switching office.

I'm with centron. cat6 is not going to help you. The only reason I use it for my cable modem to the router was because ratshack was out of short cat5e cables.

I have heard that all of the cabels are the same except cat5e. well the same in speed and networking. is that true?

the cable doesn't determine the speed. the electronics do. The cables either support that speed or they don't. Cat5 and up should support gigabit Ethernet w/o much prob so...

IS there any possible way to make dsl faster?

Call your provider and have them upgrade your package. Period.

Upgrading the cabling in your home network after the service provider's point-of-presence is not going to do anything for the connection coming into your home. Now if you were trying to increase the bandwidth between PCs on your local network, then and only then would upgrading your network infrastructure to GigE (by upgrading the cabling to CAT-5e, CAT-6, etc) have any benefit. Also, CAT-7 does not officially exist yet. Everything up to this point is not spec and may very well change when it does eventually get ratified. IIRC, CAT-6 was only made official in early-mid 2003.

Originally posted by Nate7311
the cable doesn't determine the speed. the electronics do. The cables either support that speed or they don't. Cat5 and up should support gigabit Ethernet w/o much prob so...

CAT-5 may work for your particular run of GigE (just as some people have occationally managed to run 100BaseT over CAT-3), but as far as specifications are concerned I wouldn't bet on it. CAT-5e is the lowest grade cabling spec'd for GigE use.

True, Thanks for that qualification. I occasionally forget the diff between what I can get to work reliabily and what spec says :D

Originally posted by Nate7311
True, Thanks for that qualification. I occasionally forget the diff between what I can get to work reliabily and what spec says :D

he gave you a qualification ? can I have one ? :)

Nothing you can do to the cable/your computer can change the connection speed. If you want mroe bandwidth, you'll have to call up your DSL company.

some1 said that the cabels do everything. i need more info on the cables im not sure about them

some1 said that the cabels do everything. i need more info on the cables im not sure about them

Me thinks your friend needs to be hit with a clue-stick. Cabling in relationship to bandwidth is only important when you're trying to run higher data rates over lower-rated cabling (i.e. Gigabit over CAT-3 or CAT-5). So long as your cabling specification can handle the speed you're fine. 10BaseT can work on CAT-3, 10BaseT and 100BaseT work fine on CAT-5, and 10BaseT, 100BaseT, and 1000BaseT work fine on CAT-5e. Do you see a trend here?

Guess if you are on XP you could do the fix to your bandwidth. XP will hold about 20% of your bandwidth in reserve for its own use. Also you friend could be using some other 3rd party programs to download a file from multiple sites at one time.

Originally posted by Wolfcat71
Guess if you are on XP you could do the fix to your bandwidth. XP will hold about 20% of your bandwidth in reserve for its own use. Also you friend could be using some other 3rd party programs to download a file from multiple sites at one time.

in reserve ? what for ? hehe

this roughly 20% of traffic is infact QoS overhead.... this can be uninstalled from the network adapter, but this is completely irrelevant, as even with a 10Mbps (for example, lets remove 20% overhead), that's still 8Mbps of available bandwidth....
thats 1MBps (megabytes per second) of available bandwidth, or in other words, 8000Kbps, I doubt he has an 8Mbps internet connection

He could have configured his browser to an external compression server that acts as a proxy. Depending on the file types being downloaded, a noticeable perceived throughput gain can be achieved.
Either that or a 3rd party download accelerator proggy.

Originally posted by BobSutan
Call your provider and have them upgrade your package. Period.

If asking for an upgrade to one's current DSL, how long would it take? Would they just change the settings at the DSLAM or would they have to change something else?

Back