Is there any new software to merge WMV files?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
If I got a few WMV files, part 1, part 2, etc. to join them, is there any good software to merge them?

The cheap ones in the internet seems to drag on forever and lock up my computer, among other problems

I much prefer a professional software

Windows Movie Maker, designed to do just that sort of thing since WMV is a native format.

not sure if this works for WMV, but I used to be able to join MPG by using the command prompt..

copy /b file1.mpg + file2.mpg + file3.mpg finalname.mpg

Windows Movie Maker, designed to do just that sort of thing since WMV is a native format.

What's the step by step to merge them?

I imported the 1st WMV file, Windows Movie Maker created like 60 parts total.

Obviously I can import the 2nd WMV file, etc. but how to simply merge them?

The clips it creates (you can disable the creation of 'em when you load a file) are just snippets, not actual file fragments. Load the first section, load the second and successive ones, then drag them to the timeline in the order they should be in and then export the project as a WMV file.

not sure if this works for WMV, but I used to be able to join MPG by using the command prompt..

copy /b file1.mpg + file2.mpg + file3.mpg finalname.mpg

it doesn't work. It only play part 1 and that's it

The clips it creates (you can disable the creation of 'em when you load a file) are just snippets, not actual file fragments. Load the first section, load the second and successive ones, then drag them to the timeline in the order they should be in and then export the project as a WMV file.

when saving the file, there are a few options, one of them is the Recommended something about quality for computer playback

Then there is another 1 under Other Setting called High Quality

Which 1 should I go for?

That's because Windows Movie Maker is going to try and re-encode the files during the join process. Obviously high quality will keep the quality high (duh), while lower settings will hurt the end result. If you need something that just joins the WMV segments without re-encoding (tough if they're not the same bitrate/format), you can find other options out there. Perhaps ASFTools can help (ASF is just another name Microsoft chose for the same basic format that WMV is). Get more info and the tools at:

http://www.geocities.com/myasftools/

I use Bailsoft to do simple merge, and it works. But w/ 1 of the series of WMV files, it says "Video Codecs are different from part1 vs. part 2"

So I assume w/ the something like that, I have to use Movie Maker. But Movie maker changes the aspect ratio, so the wide screen format that I have, was converted to the old rectangular ratio format. Not only that, the audio is mis-match w/ the video after movie maker output the file

Is there a way to keep the aspect ratio the same?

Back