Is there any ITX cases similar to the Steam Box?

The basic idea seems sound. I double-checked and even with the PSU shifted over a little to make room for the cables the case would only be a little over 8L in volume:

[Strike=Option]http://i.imgur.com/zNlrjDD.png[/s]
[Strike=Option]http://i.imgur.com/xRXF5qA.png[/s]

Edit: Duh, take out the 3.5 and you can get it down another liter. Put it in to check if it would fit and then forgot to take it back out.

LTBdFkX.png
oVOy8hf.png

Last edited:
Thank you Aibohphobia! My estimate was around 8.25L with dimensions of 210*325*120. I'm going to keep fooling around with the PSU placement. I think there may be some room for activities yet.

I went rummaging through my scrap pile in the basement and found a bunch of grade B and C parts to the M3A2 case. Enough to piece together a half-hearted proto-prototype, haha. Makes me want to finish it. Too bad I don't have the tooling for it anymore... :( But I do know people.

And for those who are curious, this the the riser/spacer configuration I used from FOXCONN and FLYCONN (haha, wtf?):

CMadki4,

Do you remember what issues in particular that one customer was having with their Titans? I'm going to pull the trigger on some extenders and I'm trying to figure out how to test them to ensure they work correctly.

Last edited:
CMadki4,

Do you remember what issues in particular that one customer was having the their Titans? I'm going to pull the trigger on some extenders and I'm trying to figure out how to test them to ensure they work correctly.
I'm pretty sure their systems would run, but from some manner of testing there were error code generated. Not sure what tests they were running or what software they might have been using at the time, but they said they worked well enough for the military tech trade show they put them in (aviation simulator company in the UK).

What did you use to test the risers? I'm thinking of using folding at home because I suspect stuff like Furmark or Unigine would just result in slightly lower framerates but wouldn't throw an error unless the extender was just really bad.

I went rummaging through my scrap pile in the basement and found a bunch of grade B and C parts to the M3A2 case. Enough to piece together a half-hearted proto-prototype, haha. Makes me want to finish it. Too bad I don't have the tooling for it anymore... :( But I do know people.

@CMadki4, If I may ask, why did you stop developing such a beautiful case? I see so much potential in it.

For anyone considering a slim design with SSDs mounted above the backside of a video card, I did a quick test I did to see how bad the temps got.

Setup:

Video card is a EVGA GTX770 4GB Dual FTW, there is a 140mm fan at the front of the case, two 120mm at top, and a H100i with a single 120mm intake. All the fans were adjusted for low noise and there was negligible airflow over the backside of the card.

Test was conducted with the side panels removed. Ambient was about 23-24°C (according to the thermostat)

Thermal imager is a FLIR E4 (this is a low-end model so the temps are probably not super accurate)

yi7Z8TV.jpg

Backside after ~10 minutes of Furmark 1920x1080 2xMSAA
GPU core 80°C (GPU-Z)

ziEShiP.jpg

Samsung EVO 250GB sitting 12mm above the video card on 4 small pieces of foam
~10 minutes of Furmark 1920x1080 2xMSAA
~10 minutes of ATTO continuous test on SSD
Forgot to record GPU core temp, I assume it was about the same
SSD 53°C according to CrystalDiskInfo, 45°C surface according to thermal imager.

I ran the test again with a 140mm fan blowing straight at the video card and SSD but it only dropped the SSD temp by about 3°C.

Samsung says that the operating temp of the EVO is 0-70°C so it should be safe to run it like this but I'm not sure what the effect on the lifespan would be in the long run. With something hotter like the 290X I think mounting drives above the video card would be problematic without plenty of ventilation.

@Aibohphobia, that's what I realized when I started benchmarking my prototypes in my custom 2U server rack. The only way to fight the heat buildup is have a fan blow cool air right between the two to exit in the rear.

The steambox has it right with the 3d printed plastics to segregate and focus airflow in the chassis.

an ssd is so small it could probably easily fit in a 'vertical' orientation. see crude image: black (video card), green (mobo), blue (ssd). not drawn to scale obviously :p

hlnzMFu.jpg

For anyone considering a slim design with SSDs mounted above the backside of a video card, I did a quick test I did to see how bad the temps got.

Setup:

Video card is a EVGA GTX770 4GB Dual FTW, there is a 140mm fan at the front of the case, two 120mm at top, and a H100i with a single 120mm intake. All the fans were adjusted for low noise and there was negligible airflow over the backside of the card.

Test was conducted with the side panels removed. Ambient was about 23-24°C (according to the thermostat)

Thermal imager is a FLIR E4 (this is a low-end model so the temps are probably not super accurate)

yi7Z8TV.jpg

[...]

Imagine the GPU sitting right at the back of the mobo as per the concept further up:

The basic idea seems sound. I double-checked and even with the PSU shifted over a little to make room for the cables the case would only be a little over 8L in volume:

[...]

Edit: Duh, take out the 3.5 and you can get it down another liter. Put it in to check if it would fit and then forgot to take it back out.

[...]
oVOy8hf.png

>> you need gaps/space for some airflow there + room for some fans.

The pro of yours is, that you already aligned the parts for smoother airflow instead of pluging the GPU directly into the mobo. I wouldn't consider that for myself, as I don't really trust those ribbon cables/riser cards, but if it helps you and works..
I'd try to get some 120mm fans underneath the whole thing and blowing air upwards straight through the top.

Last edited:
Imagine the GPU sitting right at the back of the mobo as per the concept further up:

>> you need gaps/space for some airflow there + room for some fans.

The pro of yours is, that you already aligned the parts for smoother airflow instead of pluging the GPU directly into the mobo. I wouldn't consider that for myself, as I don't really trust those ribbon cables/riser cards, but if it helps you and works..
I'd try to get some 120mm fans underneath the whole thing and blowing air upwards straight through the top.

I was just helping DrakonSan flesh out his concept, the layout I'm working on is more like the M3A2. I agree with you though, having the GPU back to back with the motherboard allows for a very compact case but the extra long extender makes or breaks the design.

3M makes some really long extenders (250mm) but they cost about $75-$100 :eek:

you need gaps/space for some airflow there + room for some fans. ... I'd try to get some 120mm fans underneath the whole thing and blowing air upwards straight through the top.
Sides of the case would have to be mesh or perforated acrylic; CPU, GPU and PSU intake fans are oriented toward the exterior of the case for this reason. Alternatively, it's just wide enough to maybe run some 92mm external rads across the top... maybe...
I agree with you though, having the GPU back to back with the motherboard allows for a very compact case but the extra long extender makes or breaks the design.
Quoted for truth.

Interesting how?
..look at the brand on it.
Either it was custom made for/with Valve or SS had them already.
As Waha prob knows SS's product lineup I'd wager a bet it's the first and might implicate possible things to come from SS..

Or I'm talking out my a** here and you can ignore it :cool:

..look at the brand on it.
Either it was custom made for steam or ss had them already.
As waha prob knows their product lineup I'd wager a bet it's the first.

Or I'm talking out my a** here so, ignore it :cool:
Silverstone also acts as an OEM. Seeing a Silverstone branded riser in a non-Silverstone branded case isn't interesting. And Silverstone has done HTPC cases with these risers for quite some time now. However, I don't believe they have any current models out with this layout.

Silverstone also acts as an OEM. Seeing a Silverstone branded riser in a non-Silverstone branded case isn't interesting. And Silverstone has done HTPC cases with these risers for quite some time now. However, I don't believe they have any current models out with this layout.

Apparently there are a few variations of the RC02, here's a thread from 2010 that has this particular variant: http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/casemods/110783-command-conquer-4-tiberian-twilight-portable-high-end-gaming-case-mod-2010-a.html

In the first page of this forum there is in fact such a case from SS. Silly to think both of you missed it.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1795958

I'm sure a lot of manufactures of riser cards and similar products source the actual sockets from WINNING. I think I've actually got some StarTech risers that have WINNING sockets and others that have FOXCONN sockets.

Last edited:
Like I said, they dont currently have any models out with this layout. That case is not currently available yet.

Semantics. Guy looks and sees a Silverstone riser and wonders about the possibility of a case being on the horizon that Silverstone will make with that riser. You say you know nothing about any case. I link a soon to be released case called from a thread called.
Silverstone throws its hat in the ring for a Steambox style mITX case
He should have already seen that thread in this very sub forum when wondering. You should have seen it as well and stated that there is already one on the horizon. Just admit your oversight.

I'm sure a lot of manufactures of riser cards and similar products source the actual sockets from WINNING. I think I've actually got some StarTech risers that have WINNING sockets and others that have FOXCONN sockets.
Thanks for pointing that out. I kept on counting the orange dots in the white rectangle and wanted to see anything funny or remarkable about them but nothing happened...

Semantics. Guy looks and sees a Silverstone riser and wonders about the possibility of a case being on the horizon that Silverstone will make with that riser. You say you know nothing about any case. I link a soon to be released case called from a thread called. He should have already seen that thread in this very sub forum when wondering. You should have seen it as well and stated that there is already one on the horizon. Just admit your oversight.

...And Silverstone has done HTPC cases with these risers for quite some time now. However, I don't believe they have any current models out with this layout.
Semantics.

Semantics.

Okay. Well they have. Might not be shipping them but it has a model number. .But they are making one and have built as we can see at least one of them. But again you were either A.) being a dick to the guy who was wondering if Silverstone might being doing a case with the riser. Or B.) Didn't know that Silverstone was working on the case. You just falling back on the fact that it's at a pre-ship phase of development and therefore clear of being "proven wrong", doesn't help your case. Specially considering the fact that the user was inquiring specifically about any future SS cases that could use the riser like in this situation the case in the thread I linked.

Okay. Well they have. Might not be shipping them.But they are making one and have built as we can see at least one of them. But again you were either A.) being a dick to the guy who was wondering if Silverstone might being doing a case with the riser. Or B.) Didn't know that Silverstone was working on the case. You just falling back on the fact that it's at a pre-ship phase of development and therefore clear of being "proven wrong", doesn't help your case. Specially considering the fact that the user was inquiring specifically about any future SS cases that could use the riser.
Okay dude.

That may be true but I suspect that Silverstone is the ODM for the Tiki. It's hard to find good pictures of the riser in the Tiki but it looks to be the same PCB as the Silverstone and I also remember seeing a Tiki in the Silverstone PDF that someone found.

That may be true but I suspect that Silverstone is the ODM for the Tiki. It's hard to find good pictures of the riser in the Tiki but it looks to be the same PCB as the Silverstone and I also remember seeing a Tiki in the Silverstone PDF that someone found.

Silverstone is the ODM for the Tiki. Falcon Northwest uses Silverstone for just about every tower in there product line. http://www.silverstonetek.com/OEM/product.php?area=

Silverstone is coming out with a Tiki Similar design. It is the Raven RVZ01. Due to be RTM at the end of Q1 in 2014.

141935.png

141933.png

141934.png

Just realized something interesting:

UfHuHtd.jpg

That is a PCIe Extender on the riser. The reason for that is if you don't have the extender, it gets very cramped between the video card and motherboard. The Alienware x51 does not have it as well but if you look closely to the x51 I/O panel, it is shorter that the standard due to not having the extender.

I have the Tiki and it is the Silverstone riser with the extension. Seen in the picture here. Also, with a Titan installed. :) If you want to get a better look at a Tiki torn down, go to my facebook business page where I rebuild a tiki for my daughter. There is also a Alienware X51 in the pictures that I am working on. Still in progress due to being a pain in the butt!!! (NEVER BUY A ALIENWARE)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drerex-Design/100257450051798

1402317_539607422783463_1119507576_o.jpg

http://www.e-itx.com/ga620.html would look decent with a few mods i think and has that pcie riser requirement.
Travla does a similar case. Down side is even if you can physically fit a dual slot GPU in there with the riser, fitting a power supply to power it that doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner is a challenge. Another thing to keep in mind on these types of cases is fitting the 6-8pin power connectors in between the top of the card (edge of the GPU PCB) and the side of the case. These are limitations that I am intimately familiar with from developing the M3A2.

That is a PCIe Extender on the riser. The reason for that is if you don't have the extender, it gets very cramped between the video card and motherboard. The Alienware x51 does not have it as well but if you look closely to the x51 I/O panel, it is shorter that the standard due to not having the extender.

I have the Tiki and it is the Silverstone riser with the extension.

I wasn't very clear but I was trying to show that they both appear to use the same riser, thanks for confirming :)

The Valve box gets away without the extender by using a custom retention bracket on the video card. Their bracket doesn't have the tabs on the bottom and there is a threaded hole at the top to screw to the case.

It works but it would make changing video cards difficult.

Great work on the Tiki, I bet she loves it.

879_542953045782234_588446951_n.jpg

I wasn't very clear but I was trying to show that they both appear to use the same riser, thanks for confirming :)

The Valve box gets away without the extender by using a custom retention bracket on the video card. Their bracket doesn't have the tabs on the bottom and there is a threaded hole at the top to screw to the case.

It works but it would make changing video cards difficult.

Great work on the Tiki, I bet she loves it.

879_542953045782234_588446951_n.jpg
Very true, you'd have to come up with your own GPU PCI plate if you switched to a GPU with a different port layout. Not a major inhibiting factor, but still not just plug-n-play.

Back