Is There Any Hope In Choosing A LCD

No. I dont yet have the LCD so I haven't tried. But unfindable drivers is a big turnoff.

Have you found them there?

They will be there. Just run Windows update after you get it hooked up and running.

I posted the pictures under a new thread.......

Although I did not like the Dell for the past 8 months...it is "TRUER" than the LG.

Elliot

LiquidFlame (And everyone else) - Do you notice the picture, while having bright colors, being slightly unclear and or unclean? Is the text crisp? (As crisp/clean as other LCDs you've used) Is your brightness and contrast changed from the default?

One person posted here (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1218412) that he noticed such issues. This worries me as I am very close to purchasing this monitor.

I also saw one post somewhere where the poster claimed that the LG doesn't display dark colors well with lowered brightness, that they all group together into a "mucky glob."

Also, there are no drivers for this display on LG's website. What the heck?!

The problem with the LG L246WP is that User, 9300k and 6500k settings do not deliver as good a picture as the sRGB setting. This LCD is very bright and lowering the brightness past 63 will introduce black crush. With sRGB you can lower brightness to 0 and not see any black crush or dark colors. With sRGB you only need to adjust color, gamma and brightness to get a great picture. Now, if you like a super bright picture then you can use the other settings without a problem--except that black levels are not that great because of the really high brightness setting.

Text on this monitor is very good and very typical for a P-MVA panel. You must use the DVI-HDMI connection to get sharp text. People complaining are either using the D-sub connection or aren't using ClearType Tuner to adjust sharpness.

Dark_Reign, well my current LCD (Samsung 204B TN panel) doesn't have those 9300k 6500k settings - you can only manually adjust contract, brightness, R, G, B values so I suppose I'd be used to the sRGB setting as thats what it sounds like to me. Besides, I don't even know what the 9300k and 6500k settings mean.

I'm not intensely picky, but I do notice flaws as long as I can casually see them.

I suppose I'll be fine with this monitor - again, upgrading from a TN which has minor back lighting irregularities and bleed, and poor viewing angles. The only thing which I think might make me return (or not purchase) the monitor is the semi-gloss coating. I hate the gloss laptops I see around. Of course, I won't tell till I see it in the store. Any input is appreciated.

I'm guessing it will be similar to a CRT's "glossiness." CRTs have glass screens which are reflective but not as much as the gloss LCDs I see around. So I'm guessing the LG semi-gloss will be like a CRT - when it's off you can see a dull reflection, when it's on you can't. Atleast that's what I hope ;)

9300k and 6500k are color temp settings. 6500k is the color of daylight. 9300k is a much higher color temp and makes the screen look more bright and more blue. Most TVs and PC monitors are usually set to 9300k (or higher) by default because they look brighter in the stores.

The gloss on the LG is only reflective from just a few inches away looking at it head on. From the extreme sides it's pretty reflective but doesn't give off that glassy look.

Are you satisfied with it for gaming, media, text apps? That's basically your every day use stuff.

What do you mean that its reflective straight on from a few inches away? If you sit 2-3 feet away, head on, is it still reflective? I don't understand... =\ I guess I need to get myself over to the store this weekend and look, lol.

If it were pure glossy then you could see a clear reflection of yourself on a dark screen. With the LG it's more muted.

Hmm. I'd try looking into the LG, but I have a few questions.

1) Does the DVI -> HDMI converter introduce lag or make you lose any signal? Or have any negative effects? I don't want this monitor primarily because of the HDMI.

2) 8ms lag?? What the.

3) Is it possible to mount it on a different stand?

(On a side note, do TN panels have overdrive too? I'm on a Samsung 204B right now and I don't notice any input lag. So either it's not there or I'm not sensitive enough)

Thanks.

both hdmi and dvi are digital signals, THERE IS NO CONVERSION

8ms response time, there is no lag and this monitor has the lowest input lag of any 24 inch lcd on the market

yes you can use a different stand, there are aftermarket stands although the stand that comes with the lg is height adjustable, I fail to see why you would want a diff stand unless you want a completely mobile arm stand. all lcds are vesa compatible which means they can be used with a wide array of aftermarket stands or wall mounts

I don't like glossy computer parts. I hate that ricer look. Which is why I want to swap the stand ;)

So far I have tried several 24 inch panels and I think right now the LG is one of the best on the market. I have been playing a lot of CS:S and have not had any issues with ghosting / response time. I am running the game at 1920 x 1200 and getting a consistently high frame rate with my 8800GTX and everything cranked making an older game look great. The only issue is you will notice tearing more since you usually will not have v-sync on in competitive gaming. The reason I say more is because it is a lot bigger monitor compared to my 19 inch monitor. I primarily bought the monitor to push the graphics card because my old monitor’s resolution was only 1280 x 1024. Anyways LiquidFlame did you find a fix with the issue you were having and did you decide if you were going to keep the monitor? I am really leaning toward keeping mine.

Glad you like it.....maybe it is a good one for gaming but unfortunately it is not good for Photo processing......

I need to take mine back today...bummer.....

ENJOY!!!!

Elliot

Scarby Jones,

Nope, never found a fix for my issue. Did you see the pictures that I posted? I took it back yesterday because of my issue, and it had a dead pixel. I think I may wait till black friday sales or Christmas to see what has come out then. I'm in no rush and I'll be fine with my 19" CRT until something comes out that I like.

Back