Is there any free AND modern Windows software for modern remotes?

Nazo

2[H]4U
Well, the LIRC project looks defunct to me. Their last version was dated in the year 2003, and it doesn't support anything but COM ports that I can see. In other words, no support for USB or things such as the IR controller that comes with some Creative soundcards such as mine. I used to use uICE, which is a commercial software that is quite capable, but, the copy protections they've put in there are so extreme that even legal copies sometimes have troubles, and I haven't been able to get mine to work in a while now no matter how much I reinstall and such. I've tried various commercial alternatives, but, that was the only one that truly worked for me at all, and now even it doesn't. At this point, I'm just sick of dealing with commercial software for something like this.

What I REALLY wanted to see was a true Windows port of LIRC, but, since that doesn't exist, is there anything else out there that is free which I could actually get to work with my soundcard's IR port? In particular, I want to be able to control my video player (MPC) with options like fast-forward, skip forward/back, play/pause, and so on. I don't really need a system volume control very much, which is about the only thing I can do with the creative software related to video playback.

What I loved about uICE when it actually worked was it's sheer configurability allowing you to configure any remote that the device could read (which even let me use my portable DVD player's remote so I didn't have to use the crappy Creative remote which drains those not so cheap batteries like insane) and you could map those custom configured buttons to practically anything from running a program with various parameters to sending keypresses to the currently active program. If it can't do this, even running an external program or something would probably allow me to manage somewhat with the help of some specialized software (I don't know if there's one for MPC since I never looked before, but, it's not uncommon to see free programs around for controlling various things like Winamp via a command-line.) Is there anything free for windows that can do this with a creative receiver? Unfortunately, placing the soundcard in another system isn't an option for a long time yet (if I had the money to buy a real soundcard to replace it, I'd buy a usb remote or something instead and use all the rest of the cash left over to buy something nice.)

Am I just stuck here until I can afford to waste money on buying a usb remote that I shouldn't need?

Back