Is there any difference between the CHEAP 22" monitors?

greenhorn1

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to get a 22" LCD for less than $200 (either black friday deal or microsoft cashback). I realize it won't be the best monitor in the world but are there major differences between models at this low end of the spectrum? I'll use it mostly for gaming and internet but not FPS games, mostly MMOs and maybe fallout 3.

I'm "upgrading" from a 19" CRT which is starting to die.

Thanks for any advice.

I'm looking to get a 22" LCD for less than $200 (either black friday deal or microsoft cashback). I realize it won't be the best monitor in the world but are there major differences between models at this low end of the spectrum? I'll use it mostly for gaming and internet but not FPS games, mostly MMOs and maybe fallout 3.

I'm "upgrading" from a 19" CRT which is starting to die.

Thanks for any advice.

Expect poor colour accuracy, lots of blacklight bleeding, a high risk of dead pixels, colour banding on whiteflashes, and motion blur.

Expect poor colour accuracy, lots of blacklight bleeding, a high risk of dead pixels, colour banding on whiteflashes, and motion blur.

some of the things you listed are a big maybe. The motion blue is flat out wrong though the cheaper tn panels are the best in that regard.

what about the samsung 226BW? I've heard some decent things about that.

Color accuracy isn't a big deal for me (i'm colorblind anyway)
Dead pixels will hopefully be able to be returned (no newegg from what i hear)

motion blur would be bad though. that annoys me.

is blacklight bleed noticeable if the room isn't very dark? The vast majority of the time there's other lights on in the room my computer is in.

I think "cheap TN" does not automaticly mean "bad LCD". Especially if you get it with a discount or so, refubrished may be also a good choice.
If you don't need accurate colours, you will probably end setting up to your liking and most 22" TN LCDs are "tailored" for gaming anyway, so blur should not be problem.
I think Samsung, BenQ, HP, Asus, maybe Dell are OK brands.
Backlight bleeding may differ from piece to piece, it is a bit about luck :)

depending on your previous LCD experience, they could be anywhere from horrendous to unnoticeable.
I don't really mind TN panels. Sure they aren't the best, but they aren't bad either. Maybe it's my untrained eyes, but the only thing I can tell on my TN screen that makes it TN would be viewing angles.

some of the things you listed are a big maybe. The motion blue is flat out wrong though the cheaper tn panels are the best in that regard.

Well lets compare apples to apples... as in entry level TN panels vs "high end" TN panels (I use the term "high end" loosely).

I've been through two monitors...one about two years ago that I returned, and my current one. The former was a $200 monitor, and the latter was a $400 monitor. There was a world of difference between the two.

Back