Is there any danger in using a Vapochill?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I know that most electronic componentys have a "safe" temperature operating range. Do I run any risk at all of constantly running my CPU at sub-zero temperatures? Will it shorten the life slightly? Drastically?

Your major concern with running subzero is condensation, I dont believe freezing chips affects their lifespan.

lol as long as u dont get it to absolute zero, which i forget the temp, where all atoms stop moving

Heh -270 C ... I don't think a Vapo can get cold enough to stop your electrons :D

roninblade said:
lol as long as u dont get it to absolute zero, which i forget the temp, where all atoms stop moving

isnt absolute zero something like negative 200-some celcius? i have no idea.... high school science seems to have failed me again.... :p :(

but i dont think that gettin your components that low is gonna affect anything/much. condensation is just your worst enemy...

EDIT: i noticed the above poster put -270C... didnt realize what he said til after i posted.

Well, it is impossible to reach absolute zero because cooling is the removal of thermal energy. You have to have particle movement to move something. If all particle movement stops, you can't remove heat. You would have to have coolant that would be at absolute zero, but then you couldn't move it without pulling it above absolute zero so it will move. It would be a solid at absolute zero. Kind of a paradox, isn't it? :)

As far as I know, if used correctly a Vapochill will greatly increase the lifespan of your CPU because of the sub zero temps.

gclg2000 said:
(warning random)

The average temperatuer of the universe is 3 K.

Yeah and if we sit and Wait long enough entropy will even it all out... :D

Tet5uo said:
Yeah and if we sit and Wait long enough entropy will even it all out... :D
I thought that we were supposed to have the 'Big Crunch', where at a certain point, the universe stops expanding and begins to contract, and we begin to see a red-shift (Doppler Effect), as well as an increase in average temperature throughout the universe?

This could have been disproven...I read it in some book a while ago. It stated that our universe came from something like a frothy mixture of space-time, with each potential universe a bubble in that mixture that expands outwards and contracts back inwards in an infinitesimally small amount of time, with only the lucky few that get to expand and reach outwards, only to collapse back upon itself a length of time later...each universe has its own constants and forces... :eek:

/off-topic, but cool.

It would be cool, but who would know? I'm sure the author of your book has viewed this extensively over trillions of years, or is an omniscient being. :p

frostbite. as long as you don't touch it while it's on, you should be fine.

oh, you mean danger to your computer....:rolleyes:

Tip if you get one: Put duct tape (or anything that will seal it) around where the hose meets the clam shell. It will stop a lot of condensation from happening, believe me.

I did that with the one i sold last year and the guy messed with it and f'ed the whole rig, word to the wise make sure you dont mess with it while its on as he did.

sinoptism, that theory has been disproven, atliest thats what discovery channel now says.

they have now found that the universe is Expanding and Increasing speed outward.. not slowing down due to gravity, theres dark matter pushing shit :)

Kueller said:
It can cause severe injury to your wallet.

Haha, just what I was thinking.

With enough knowledge and common sense behind you, you shouldn't really be in danger of dmg'ing your system....it's usually just ppl jumping into PS too fast that get (freezer) burned. ;)

No equipment damaged as a result of its use (other than a core that broke myself by mounting the clamshell wrong).

The only reason I'm not using it now is because the temp sensor croaked, so instead of ordering another one, I upgraded to an A64 setup. Eventually I'll buy a new A64 mounting kit and heat sensor and put it all back together or sell the Vapo.

Oh, the reason I can't use it now is that if the temp sensor is dead, the thing doesn't think it's cold enough to boot, it won't boot at anything above -5 degrees :). So if you have a screwy temp sensor that thinks it's 120 degrees all the time, it doesn't quite get cold enough :).

Not if you take your time, RTFM, and set it up properly. They've come a long way I believe, better measures taken against condensation, new mounting, bakers block etc...

how can you get something above absolute zero to move it? when temperatures get that low, the mass gets smaller, so when you get to absolute zero, you have a vanished cpu [`-`_`-`].

Back