Is there an open source/freeware software like PC Anywhere?

darwin

Weaksauce
I used to do a whole lot of technical support housecalls to some local businesses, but have since began to do mostly web design and don't want to drive 40 miles to reconfigure a database that takes me about ten minutes.

Products like PC Anywhere would work, but I don't want to buy a license for every single computer. Remote desktop would be a pain in the ass because all of these computers are on networks and none of them have static IPs.

I've looked around a bit, but can't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Depends on the system. For remote desktops, I find VNC to work just fine.

UltraVNC is my flavor of choice.

That brings to another question though... How will I find out that the IP of the machine is? It will change from time to time and with noone to access it, how will it work?

darwin said:
That brings to another question though... How will I find out that the IP of the machine is? It will change from time to time and with noone to access it, how will it work?
I've used dyndns.org, and I've installed the client on the remote machine ( as terms of the contract ).

I use Log Me In . It's web based. To set up the clients you need to log and install the app. Once that is all set up you can access the clients from any computer that has internet connection. All I use is the free subscription. Works great for what I need. Also works though firewalls and routers.
Marvin888

darwin said:
Remote desktop would be a pain in the ass because all of these computers are on networks and none of them have static IPs.
And how would this make it a pain in the ass only for Remote Desktop? The addressing and different networks will be an obstacle for any software. My advice would be to stick with RDP, because it's free and built in, and either have a local contact give you the IP, or use the dyndns.org suggestion.

Back