Is there an alternative to Gimp for Linux?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Gimp must be one of the most frustrating programs to use, it's just very tedious to do anything. Ex: text. Something as simple as a text outline or shadow has to be done 100% manualy pixel by pixel. Fonts: all the fonts basically look the same until you pick them, you can't pick in real time.

Moving stuff, if you are not clicking EXACTLY on the thing you want to move, it does not matter what layer you have selected, it will move the wrong layer. Try freaking clicking on a single pixel piece of text because you want to move it.

Copying, does not seem to work very well, you drag the copied item over, then it vanishes. WTF?

So many other annoyances I could go on. Is there a better program out there, or perhaps a way to make it work better? I was playing with GNU Paint as well, even that is very primitive, you can't even change the canvas size, and you can't tell how big or where a brush will draw since there's no outline. It seems all graphic programs in Linux are like 30 years behind. Even windows 3.11 MSpaint kicks all of these programs' asses. I also tried inkscape, but same idea, can't change the canvas size. Seems these are such simple options that any program written by someone older than 5 would have. If it has to come down to it I'll learn graphics programming and write my own, but there HAS to be something out there that is half decent.

I often want to be able to whip out quick drawings like electrical, plumbing etc but in Linux I spent more time fighting with the stupid programs than actually doing any work.

I used it for years until I got sick of the name. Who wants to use a program named after something perverted?

Anyway, if you can get past the name, it took me a bit to get over the whole doing everything manual. You can do most everything with shortcuts and I'm pretty sure you can do macros to shorten the process a bit. But, I'm not an artist so I never really got too far under the hood.

Yeah I think that may be the issue Gimp is more for "painting" than editing. Someone who's a good artist can probably make some pretty awesome stuff with it as the brush options are actually better than Photoshop.

But as far as being able to quickly move blocks of stuff around, copy layers, write text, etc. it totally sucks. Even resizing something is a real nightmare. I can run photoshop and ms paint in a VM but I'd like to be able to break my dependance on Windows altogether.

ms paint should run pretty well in wine, might be easier for some things (I did some stuff with text art in the gimp once... wow, that sucked)

Thanks I'll try those suggestions. I prefer something native and open source/free so I'll try Pinta and go from there. Worse case scenario I suppose I can rely on emulation. I think even photoshop runs in wine.

I used it for years until I got sick of the name. Who wants to use a program named after something perverted?

Anyway, if you can get past the name, it took me a bit to get over the whole doing everything manual. You can do most everything with shortcuts and I'm pretty sure you can do macros to shorten the process a bit. But, I'm not an artist so I never really got too far under the hood.
How is the name perverted? I'm thinking only a pervert would think of it like that...

There really isn't anything as feature rich for free

Back