Is there a wireless router with more than 32 limit on mac filter?

chemist_slime

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi all,
I was wondering if there are any wireless router out there with more than a 32 limit (3Com office Connect) on mac filtering. The place I work for needs at least 64, anyone know? I think the Linksys ones are limited to 40 no? I've been seaching around but can't find much. Thanks.

Why would you ever need that many?

you shouldnt rely on mac filtering to provide any security. mac addresses can be easily sniffed and spoofed. if you want to secure your business wireless, do it the right way the first time.

I still see wireless security information tell you that MAC filtering is security. If you are running WEP and someone has the know how to crack wep, they already know how to spoof a MAC address, and you are just making them take another 5 seconds to type the MAC address in before they have access to your network.

It's like having a pin for your ATM card written right on the ATM card. Once they have the card it doesent matter anymore.

Forget all that about.com junk Read This

I think if you're having that many clients connect you should think about using a radius server or something a bit more serious wep. It'd probably be an idea to set up an open access point and then a vpn for the users to connect to the real office network.

Just my 2c as a non-network admin.

chemist_slime said:
Is that 128 wireless mac filtering? Or Lan mac filtering? I need the wireless one.

That is wireless.

I agree with the other post - you may not want to have that many concurrent connections :eek:

Back