Is there a way to turn off search auto complete in Firefox

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
You know how you start to type something and if you don't type it really fast all the search engines (google, bing, yahoo) will autocomplete it with some other words and then do a search that you didn't ask for. Is there a way to turn off this feature? Without having to sign up for lots of accounts.

Last edited:
Go to Google - Bottom right corner of screen click settings then "search settings" - Turn "Google Instant predictions" to "Never show instant results."

Hello thanks, yes I knew about that one in Google it fixes the auto searching but still has the search predictions there, actually looking more closely I managed to turn it off in Bing too completely.

Actually I should have tried it again before posting lol. I repaired a broken ssd recently and reinstalled linux and forgot I had to change the settings again.

So I can turn off everything except for the instant predictions in Google, which are slightly annoying but not as much as instant searching.

If you want to remove that behavior from the location bar as well, go to:
Tools > Options > Privacy
and at the bottom of the page, choose "When using the location bar, suggest: Nothing"

Thanks, I didn't know about that, almost there now. Now is there any way to get rid of Google instant predictions in the search field?

I just want classic computing before these modern features.

Click on the icon in the search box (no matter which search engine you have selected), select "Manage Search Engines...", and uncheck the box for "Show search suggestions".

Thanks, that is a good workaround for website searches but for image searches it you can't use the top box.

You'll have to sign up for lots of accounts to get image searches the way you want them. That's not the browser's problem.

Ok thanks anyway, maybe I will get round to it sometime.

PS. Didnt mean to say it was a problem with Firefox, I know it is set by the search engine but I thought there might be a way to override it, anyway I have turned off many of the auto searches now so it's good enough.

Last edited:
Back