Is there a way to test a processor?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
9,223
My motherboard fried so I need to order another one. Is there a way I can test the processor to make sure it's still good? Is there some/all pins I can test resistance from to check for certian values or something? Any proceedure for this? I don't want to get a new mobo find out the cpu is dead too and then have to wait yet another week while a cpu comes in.
 
Besides a simple visual inspection for damage on the processor, there unfortunately isn't a way to test a processor without a motherboard. Playing with the contact pads of a CPU could lead to damage if not done carefully and properly.
 
Unless you have fried the cpu by excessive voltage or overclocking, the cpu should be just fine. no way to test it with a multimeter.
 
I got lucky, and it looks like it's a stick of ram that fried and not the motherboard. So I'm back up and running now. First time I see a stick of ram randomly fry itself like that and cause the PC to not even boot back up.
 
I got lucky, and it looks like it's a stick of ram that fried and not the motherboard. So I'm back up and running now. First time I see a stick of ram randomly fry itself like that and cause the PC to not even boot back up.


Fried ram is actually much better than boiled ram. May I suggest pairing it with a nice red wine? Perhaps a Beaujolais nouveau?
 
Back
Top