Is there a way to make windows think a network location is local?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I hate how Windows treats network locations differently. By that I mean, stuff like certain virus scanners will not work in those locations, I also learned the hard way that a .net app cannot be run off a network drive, at least not the one I'm trying to run (Get some massive error about it not being supported)

So is there a way to map a folder but have windows treat it as local storage? If this matters, it's in a virtualbox VM

I'm hoping to not have to use iSCSI and stick to SMB. The host is samba.

Ok so turns out this is a .net thing and I can fix it in my program.

I have to set LoadFromRemoteSources to true. Where, I have no clue. Anyone familiar with this? Is it somewhere in my code, a config file somewhere? None of the sites I've found say where I actually set that.

edit: found it, they were not too obvious about it, but basically I have to create a app.exe.config file and put this in it:

Code:
<configuration>
  <runtime>
    <loadFromRemoteSources enabled="true" />
  </runtime>
</configuration>

At least that fixes my particular issue.

Though I'd still be curious about the original question as I've seen other instances were network drives cause issues.

Last edited:
Run this as admin:
mklink /d x:\local_folder \\server\share

Windows will treat the local folder symlink you just created like a regular local folder. Works great, we use it to share a common steamapps folder between all our testing PCs at work.

Back