Is there a way to make a folder in XP part of the explorer hierarchy?

agentzero9

2[H]4U
folders2.jpg

See how in explorer the My Pictures and My Music folders appear at the top for easy access, before you even get to the C-drive.

I have some subfolders that are embedded deep within the C-drive and it's a pain clicking through to get to them.

Is there anyway to make another folder appear up there with My Documents?

Not quite sure, but I think you can map them as a drive?

//EDIT Ah, you can only do this with network drives

agentzero9 said:
folders2.jpg

See how in explorer the My Pictures and My Music folders appear at the top for easy access, before you even get to the C-drive.

I have some subfolders that are embedded deep within the C-drive and it's a pain clicking through to get to them.

Is there anyway to make another folder appear up there with My Documents?

If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, just put the folder you want easy access to on your desktop. When you go to explorer, the folder will be up there with My Documents.

7th Angel said:
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do, just put the folder you want easy access to on your desktop. When you go to explorer, the folder will be up there with My Documents.

Well the folder is referenced by a program so I cant just move it around.

eg. the My Documents folder is not even located on my desktop, but it just appears that way when you open windows explorer because MS made it special. I'd like to do this whith some other folders as well.

TweakUI (part of MS PowerToys) lets you mess with the special folder assignments. That might let you elevate folders to the same level as My Pics and whatnot.

agentzero9 said:
Well the folder is referenced by a program so I cant just move it around.

No, but you can make shortcuts to them and put said shortcuts anywhere you want.

Yes aware of that but trying to do it without the clutter of shortcuts if you know what I mean.

Iomn I'll have to check out tweakUI thanks.

I don't think Tweak Utility will allow you to create a new special folder.

You'll probably have to manually add keys to the registry to do it.

If you can get to the folder to be on the same level as DESKTOP, you can add the folder to MyComputer.

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/73/

Then it will show up like the 3.5 floppy does.

You can set windows Explorer to open up to a specific folder each time u open it.

First, locate the shortcut that launches Windows Explorer. If you don't have one, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer and create a shortcut on your desktop. Now, right-click the new shortcut and choose Properties. Click on the Shortcut tab at the top. In the target field, add " /e," to the end of the string (without the quotes). In other words, space, forward slash, the letter e, comma to the end of the current string. At this point, add your destination of choice to the end of the string addition you just added, without any extra spaces.

For example:
" /e,C:\Windows" will open up C:\Windows.
" /e,E:\Sarah's Rollercoaster Pics" will open up that pic folder on my E drive

My Music and My Pictures are up top because they are in My Documents, which is right up top. The only way to get a folder up there without a third party app is to put the folder in My Documents.

Back