Is there a way to limit bandwidth to certain processes in win7?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
I'm on a pretty slow connection at home for the time being, so I'd like to be able to limit steam (or any other application for that matter) to something like 50kbps so I still have some headroom for general browsing and listening to XM online and such.

Is there a way to do this in windows? I would assume that there is... but I've never tried. It's windows 7 pro if it helps. If not, is there a basic, easy to use piece of software that will do what I'm describing?

thanks

As far as I know there's no traffic shaping in Windows, though I could be wrong. You probably need a 3rd party program, or enable QoS on your router and filter based on application (instead of computer).

there is software out there that's supposed to be able to do it.

I haven't looked any of them up myself, but have came across little blurbs, so not sure of any names off the top of my head.

edit: NetLimiter is one I believe I've heard of around here?

NetLimiter is an ultimate internet traffic control and monitoring tool designed for Windows. You can use NetLimiter to set download/upload transfer rate limits for applications or even single connection and monitor their internet traffic.

http://www.netlimiter.com/

thanks. I actually found that late last night before I went to bed and gave it a try. So far, so good... the current version didn't work with windows 7 but there's a beta on their website that seems to work great.

I'll probably buy it once it's released.

thanks for the help/replies guys.

Back