Is there a way to keep fans running while the rest is off?

Decker87

Limp Gawd
I want to keep a few fans on my computer running for about 15 minutes after I turn it off, to get most of the heat away right away. Any easy way of doing this?

I am a noob at this stuff but, I guess you could hook your fans up to an external source, or just get a exhaust fan, and plug it into an external case, you could buy an inverter maybe, drill a hole in your case and plug it into the wall.

Google somthing called PC Cooling After. It has adjustable times for how long the fans will run.

well here is what I have running in my system at the moment.
I have dual power supplies. Not out of nessicity but out of plain pure awesome fun. But i tried hooking one power supply up to all the components except all of my 13 fans at the moment, and i put a paper clip on the 4th and 6th pin of the main board power. and the fans run without the computer running. But that is only with dual power supply and you need another connection if you want them to both run at the same time :) hope that helped

Two options:

- buffer. A capacitor of suitable size, with accompanying components.
- secondary source. A second PSU which is activated for N minutes after the primary PSU is shut down.

as stated above ^^ you can use a circuit with capacitors to do this, but it depends on how many fans, and what their current draw is to figure out what size caps you'll need to run them for 15 min.

Moose777 said:
Of note is that this particular device uses the +5 VSB (StandBy) voltage the (ATX) PSU supplies to the mainboard even when the system is turned off (soft power-off). If you flip the switch on the back of the PSU, or disconnect the PSU from the outlet, this device will not work.

With a buffer solution, the fans will keep spinning even if you completely disconnect the system from the grid.

I've got a Super Flower power supply that will keep the psu fans running after you shut down the computer, until a certain temperature is reached. No idea what that temp is (SF psu's don't come with any great paperwork explaining anything important like that! :rolleyes: ), but it threw me at first. I'm like, "WTF? Why are these fans still running???" :p

After 5-10 minutes, when the proper temp is reached, those fans shut down automatically, unless you shut off the switch on the back of the psu. Might be worth looking at, and a simple solution to what you're looking for. :D

I bought a Skyhawk power supply with the "audio stand-by" feature, basically a molex with constant power even when the computer is off. This was intended by them for CD drives with the play buttons, but they don't make them like that anymore anyway.Both the +5 and +12 work, and you wouldn't have to add another unit to get the power to keep coming.

Got it from NE link
some bad reviews, mostly good reviews, no real dual 12 volt rails, so the packaging is false. The power appears to be stable, though, and it works fine for me.

Elledan said:
Of note is that this particular device uses the +5 VSB (StandBy) voltage the (ATX) PSU supplies to the mainboard even when the system is turned off (soft power-off). If you flip the switch on the back of the PSU, or disconnect the PSU from the outlet, this device will not work.

With a buffer solution, the fans will keep spinning even if you completely disconnect the system from the grid.

your buffer solution isn't feasible at all, assuming 5 fans with current draw around .3 amps a piece at 12v you are going to need 112.5 FARADS to keep the fans running for 900sec or 15 minutes!!!! pretty darn rediculous ;)

i like the secondary solution better, cheaper and easier :)

best and fastest way to cool it of is: shut it down and stick it outside, winter's coming, it will cool off real quick.

And why has no one asked the most important question yet? People shut their computer opff? OMG. If you shut it off you miss out on everythign that happens at [H].

I'd say, get a 12V transformer from whatever, plug it in an outlet and pull the cable in.
Connect to a 6-pole, 2 step switch. It has a left-right position. Connect external power to left poles, power to fans in middle and power from PSU on the right (normal operation).
Never connect the 12V or ground of the two sources together.
Since the fans need many connection, a regular fancontroller could be used here, it will be powered when the computer is off.
The only thing you need to do is to change the switch when you turn it off.
Then come back to turn off the fans. Not the best, but simple.

the point of these after-cooling products is in serious question. do you really expect your componants to get hotter if do not have power? sure cooling is shut off as well, but i've seen figures that say a processor for instance can reach temperatures of 90C before sustaining damage. the processor can't possibly double its temperature when it has no power, even if there is no cooling at all.

cliffs:
they are pointless.

why would you want the fans to still run, I dont get it?? am I the only one??

your not cooling anything after your putting power the to mobo, and your pump isnt running, so whats the big deal?

Back