Is there a way to find an IP address from a MAC address?

Gillbot

[H]F Junkie
I did the typical Google search for the subject and all their suggestions produced nothing.

What I am trying to do is access the management section of a switch I bought on ebay. It's a Telco Systems T5C switch model BTI-0530C-N. I got it for lan parties but i'd also like to mess with it to learn and such. When I try to access it via Hyperterminal, nothing happens. It asks for a password (which I don't have) but it seems as no matter what I do, it stops responding.

Any suggestions?

Plug a cross over cable into the device and into your computer. Use ARP command in Windows to map the MAC address to an IP on same subnet as a address you give to your PC (10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 work well enough).

Once you have a connection you should be able to change any of the settings you need (Assuming password issues are fixed)

c:\arp -s 10.0.0.2 mac-address-of-device

Side note:
Do you have documentation for the device?
http://www.batm.de/inc/t5c/ig/MN100096_C.pdf

My Asus switch needs a special program to be able access its config settings (available, of course, from the manufacturer's web site).

Malk, that's a pretty novel way around it. But it's not guranteed to work right? It may allow your computer to transmit to the device, but a well tightened TCP/IP stack on the foriegn device will see that the destination IP does not match it's host address, and discard the packet.

BollWeevil said:
Malk, that's a pretty novel way around it. But it's not guranteed to work right? It may allow your computer to transmit to the device, but a well tightened TCP/IP stack on the foriegn device will see that the destination IP does not match it's host address, and discard the packet.

It's standard operation procedure for stuff like older print servers and some older managed switches. I haven't had to pull it in a while but my experience has been while it's possible to prevent something like it from working, I have yet to find or hear of a device that doesn't allow it.

EDIT:
And after I think about it for a minute - most TCP stacks won't even look at the IP. It will match the MAC address and stop processing it assuming that since the MACs match that it is the destination.

Telco won't respond to any of my emails and their documentation says nothing about a password reset. If I knew the password I could get into it via hyperterminal I'd guess. For some reason though, when I try to mess with it via the console port, it keeps locking up hyperterminal. I'm not sure if that's in response to an incorrect password or what.

I'll try to hook a crossover cable to it and see what I can come up with.

Gillbot said:
For some reason though, when I try to mess with it via the console port, it keeps locking up hyperterminal.

Might be incorrect settings on hyperterminal...

Gillbot said:
Telco won't respond to any of my emails and their documentation says nothing about a password reset. If I knew the password I could get into it via hyperterminal I'd guess. For some reason though, when I try to mess with it via the console port, it keeps locking up hyperterminal. I'm not sure if that's in response to an incorrect password or what.

I'll try to hook a crossover cable to it and see what I can come up with.

Dump Hyperterminal, like a bad rash, and download TeraTerm Pro.

IMHO, much better and easier to use.

Darthkim said:
Dump Hyperterminal, like a bad rash, and download TeraTerm Pro.

IMHO, much better and easier to use.

While I personally prefer TTP as well, if he can't get basic connection to hold switching clients won't help.

I'm not sure if it's something I'm doing or if it's in response to all the incorrect passwords I'm trying. I just want to get into the management settings and mess around. Maybe if I badger Telco enough, they'll tell me how to reset it.

I'm assuming that you've already tried the default password, eh?

"batm"

also, another thing to try, is have a console session running when you turn on the switch. Maybe it has some ROM mode similar to cisco switches.

I can see it come up through the boot process but it doesn't SEEM to respond to anything I type in, and after quite a few tries, hypoerterminal locks up. I followed the manual to create my console cable but I'm not sure if it's working or not. Since it doesn't echo back as you type characters, I'm not sure if it's responding.

RJ45 pin 2 to DB9 pin 3, RJ45 pin 3 to DB9 pin 2, and RJ45 pin 5 to DB9 pin 5.

I just thought if I could get into the web interface, it might respond a little better since I know nothing about hyperterminal other than when I used it to access my old wireless AP.

This is what I get through hyperterminal:
BATM Telco Boot Loader

Switch model : T5CN-L2

Loader version : 3.6.3 created Aug 4 2002 - 18:05:24

MAC Address : 00:A0:12:0A:02:03

Press any key to stop auto-boot...
0auto-booting...

Starting switch application, please wait......................................................

BUILT-IN SELF TEST

------------------

CPU Notify RAM Test : Passed

CPU Interface Test : Passed

Testing Switch Core : Passed

Data Buffer Test : Passed

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// //

// //

// B A T M A d v a n c e d C o m m u n i c a t i o n s //

// //

// T e l c o S y s t e m s //

// //

// Switch model : T5CN-L2 //

// SW version : 3.8.1 created Aug 11 2002 - 17:01:38 //

// //

// //

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#

##

###

####

#####

######

#######

########

#########

##########

###########

############

#############

##############

###############

User Access Verification

Password:

I'd be curious to know what happens if you could stop that auto-boot...Unfortunately, it appears that hyperterminal keeps locking up after repeated attempts.

Darthkim said:
I'd be curious to know what happens if you could stop that auto-boot...Unfortunately, it appears that hyperterminal keeps locking up after repeated attempts.
It says press any key to stop auto boot, no matter what I press or mash on the keyboard, nothing happens.

The crossover cable and ethereal helped me get the IP and as I suspected, the password has been changed from default.

The switch itself works fine so worst case is I'll have to use it as an unmanaged unit.

Usually the "any key" is the terminal's "break" function. For the linux app cu , it was ctl-z, I believe. If you have console access you should be able to reset it, Look up how to reset cisco lost cisco pw's, it shoudl eb the same.

hmm interesting.. if it shows a rest button i wonder if it will reset the password, or if its more of a "it crashed" reset switch....

regardless, if there isnt acctually a hole there for you to push a button, it may not have made your rev, but chances are the solder points are still in the unit , you could pop it open and see if you and paper clip it*... ;)

*not responsible for damaged componets, or singed hiar in the event you touch something live

thore

it's a simple reset like flipping the power on and off, I tried it already.

Got word back from their support dept finally,

Sir,

We do not support a product that is purchased off of eBay.

If you need the switch reset to factory default, we recommend you send the unit in for repair.

Repair can contacted at [email protected] or 800-227-0937, option#2.

Regards,

Telco Systems Technical Support

We do not support a product that is purchased off of eBay.

This is why you say:

"I have an Telco Systems T5C switch model BTI-0530C-N and I am having the following problem with it..."

When you are seeking help, do not begin by offering reasons why the beseeched should not assist you. I realize this wasn't your intent, but the rule of thumb is to exclude all information extraneous to the exact problem at hand. This is opposite, of course, here at [H] where you want to provide as much information as possible. The reason for the difference is $.

I understand, I realized what I sent after I already hit the send button. I'm gonna try and call and say I need access to the switch and my predecessor did not leave me the login info. Not entirely a lie but it makes it seem as though I'm working somewhere and the original person has left. Hopefully that will work.

If not, they want $100 plus freight for a reset and I have to send the unit to them.

Try the comment about the last guy not leaving the info and see if that works. If not, email them again from a different email or something and ask if holding the reset while power cycling is a hard reset like on so many devices it is. You may also want to ask if the soldier points in the back are for the button. Worst they can do is say no. Make sure that you say you know it's out of warrenty and you aren't trying to screw them. I had a similar PITA situation with one of the switches I bought a few years ago. Good luck.

sulchus said:
ask if holding the reset while power cycling is a hard reset like on so many devices it is.

Or since it's such an easy test, try it for yourself.

I already tried the reset when cycling the power, no luck. I tried all the dip switches and any other connectors I can find inside the switch to no avail. I've been going back and forth to their international help as opposed to the US group. Doesn't look like they are going to help either. They only want to know the company name and when it can be sent in for repair. I'll keep trying though.

Gillbot said:
They only want to know the company name and when it can be sent in for repair. I'll keep trying though.

When you contact them be sure to tell them that it is in a production environment and you cannot disconnect to send it to them.

on my d-link router, you have to hold the reset button for better than 30 seconeds somtimes to to a hard reset (its supposed to be only 8 or so seconeds) i'll have to get more detailed instructions later when i have more time...

thore

theres no way to reset it to factory settings yourself? What a pile of junk switch. Have you obtained a full copy of the manual?

Feetdude said:
When you contact them be sure to tell them that it is in a production environment and you cannot disconnect to send it to them.
that's my plan. ;)

I've been emailing back and forth, hopefully they'll let me know how to do a hard reset on it, but from what i've gathered so far, the button will not do it. It's not a very secure system if it can be reset very easily.

uhm, have you tried resetting the pw like a cisco device, ie witht the brbeak key during initialization?

Rabidfox said:
uhm, have you tried resetting the pw like a cisco device, ie witht the brbeak key during initialization?
huh? (I'm not a network guy so you'll have to elaborate.

We might have a possible success though!

Description:
Entered on 2005-12-15 at 15:48:28 by Nir Daube:
Hi,

The default password is batm, if this doesn't work you can reload it and stop at the loader, there the password is batm, then you can clear the startup config
loader>config
clean startup-config
next time the device boots it will have the default password.

Regards,

BATM Support Team

Now all I need to do is figure out why hyperterminal doesn't respond to my keystrokes and I should have it!

thore said:
on my d-link router, you have to hold the reset button for better than 30 seconeds somtimes to to a hard reset (its supposed to be only 8 or so seconeds) i'll have to get more detailed instructions later when i have more time...

thore

don't waste your time getting those instructions. This is no dlink/linksys soho router/switch where you have a reset button that resets to factory state.

Stang Man said:
don't waste your time getting those instructions. This is no dlink/linksys soho router/switch where you have a reset button that resets to factory state.
Most routers that i've seen require a trip back to the manufacturer to get reset, unless there is a way if you open them up.

Ok, I guess I need console help.

Sir,

If your console cable is correct and you cannot access the unit via the console, then the unit cannot be reset. All resets are done via the console port.

We recommended you build/try another console cable and try another terminal.

If you still cannot access the unit via the console port then you have no alternative then to send the unit in for repair as recommended earlier.

I can connect to the unit via the console port and watch it boot, but it SEEMS as though nothing happens when I try to enter in keystrokes. It gives a prompt to stop the auto boot and if I heavily mash keys on the keyboard, it appears to stop, but it basically "hangs" at the prompt to stop the auto boot. I'm not sure if it is the switch or hyperterminal that stops responding though. Any suggestions on a better way to connect to the unit?

Gillbot said:
Ok, I guess I need console help.
I can connect to the unit via the console port and watch it boot, but it SEEMS as though nothing happens when I try to enter in keystrokes. It gives a prompt to stop the auto boot and if I heavily mash keys on the keyboard, it appears to stop, but it basically "hangs" at the prompt to stop the auto boot. I'm not sure if it is the switch or hyperterminal that stops responding though. Any suggestions on a better way to connect to the unit?
Get a console cable, perhaps the cable you made is faulty on one pin. What settings are you selecting in hyperterm? 9600 8-n-1? Try a different terminal emulator software like teraterm posted above.

Stinn said:
Get a console cable, perhaps the cable you made is faulty on one pin. What settings are you selecting in hyperterm? 9600 8-n-1? Try a different terminal emulator software like teraterm posted above.
yep, 9600 8-n-1

I've remade the cable like a billion times. I doubt that is it. Maybe the console port itself is bad. I'll try the other software though.

Stang Man said:

o-rly

d-link 1402s

wheather or not this willl work for him is doubtfull, (it looks as thought he may have already figured it out)

OP i wonder if the person that owned it befor you, try to access the terminal port via a NIC, i know in my cisco manules it says to never try this with a cisco router because it *will* fry the consol port ,thought i did it once in a lab to no ill effect, it simply did nothing... but in your case it might be gone, i wonder if that router/switch has builting web magament interface (not that it matters if you cant access it from the consol, your pertty much SOL with any thing over the network)

thore

I guess i'm stuck with a dumb switch. :(

Nothing I have tried will work.

TerraTerm Pro got into it, I got it reset to default, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!

Back