is there a way to encode divx videos into 5.1 surround?

joethemole

Gawd
i saw the website of 3ivx which i think offers this... can i take a stereo divx or whatever video file, encode it, then play it back in surround?

Whether or not the 3ivx codec supports this or not is not the issue here - I believe you are suggesting that by changing codecs you could get surround sound out of a stereo encoded Divx file. To do this you would have to more or less violate a law of physics - creating matter out of nothing. Basically, the surround sound data was never there in the first place (it's not 'hiding' or anything), so no matter _what_ you do, you won't be changing 2 channels to 6 channels, sorry...

tim_m said:
i believe the 5.1-ness of the audio would depend on how you encode the audio. i doubt it's possible with standard avi files but perhaps with matroska (i know very little about it so i can't help you other than giving you its name)
maybe look here too
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11582&

This is quite possible. Most commonly I have seen videos made with AC3, which allows 5.1 audio. The Hydrogen Audio link suggests 6-channel ogg files will work as well, and that's probably true.

joethemole said:
damn that sucks... i know dvds are usually 5.1, right? what about vcd videos?

The container for the DVD should say what style of audio it uses, but yes, most do have 5.1 audio. As far as VCD, I am not sure, but it would probably depend on how it's encoded.

joethemole said:
damn that sucks... i know dvds are usually 5.1, right? what about vcd videos?

VCD audio is always 224kb/s mp2. DVD audio is usually 192kb/s for stereo and 384 or 448 for surround ac3, although you will sometimes have a dts surround sound track or more rarely raw pcm.

You asked if you could convert stereo to surround and the answer is no. You can kludge together some sort of pseudo surround sound but it most likely will suck. Don't waste your time.

"can i take a stereo divx or whatever video file, encode it, then play it back in surround?"

that, as stated above, no. it's probably possible if you decode the dvd yourself to re-encode it with 5.1 somehow

Back