Is there a way to determine the source of the game I am trying to download???

Hey there...I want to download a game (actually 2)...don't worry...it's Freeware...but it's ~200 Mb's...When I click on the link it goes straight to the File Download box that Windows usually shows if you're not running a download accelerator...the download accelerator works when you click on a direct link or type it in yourself...but the link I was clicking on went something and then redirected it to the program thereby bypassing my download accelerator...you get what I mean???

So what I am wondering is if there was some way that I could figure out the direct source that this program is being downloaded from so I can use the download accelerator on it...THANX
C'YA ?:-D

One thing to do is to view the page source BEFORE you click download and see if you can see where the file is referenced from in the source.

Granted, this may or may not be accurate as the link cited in the source could just be a redirecter, but it's worth a shot.

There are many ways. Firstly, as the person mentioned before me, dig through the source as mentioned, though sometimes it runs through scripts or redirectors so isn't terribly clear. Secondly, you could use a download manager that automatically grabs links when you click them and then you can see from there. However, if you used a browser such as Opera, then you can see the address in the information about the download as it has a sort of built in cheapy download manager (which is more than good enough for most purposes -- at least it's resume is reliable, unlike SOME browsers we all know...) One thing to bear in mind is that some sites have scripts that will check the referrer tag to try to make sure that you didn't follow the direct download link from elsewhere. In these cases, you will need to use a seperate download program that allows you to enter referrer tags (most should allow this now.) More often than not, you can simply enter a URL with the same domain in it and it won't really examine in details. In fact, I usually just get lazy and copy and paste the download link into both the referrer and download URLs.

Oh, and btw, download accelerators can get your IP address banned from many servers due to the way that their methods tend to hurt the server's resources. I personally recommend sticking to download managers that don't "accelerate" downloads (eg they only open one connection to the same server at a time.) I never really saw a big speed difference when using those so called accelerators anyway. Really, they are meant to circumvent poorly made speed limitors on servers (and any such limiter, poor or not, was put there for a purpose...)

Back