Is there a way to connect to two different networks for fileserving?

Long story short I have my network (with internet connection) but there's a wireless network in my range that I want to be able to share my files over to another computer.

Currently MY network is hard wired for internet and etc and I have a USB 802.11g NIC I added so I could share files over the wireless network but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. The computers on one network just can't see the computers on the other. Anyone got any ideas?

You will need a router in between the two Networks in order for them to connect.

If you are running windows server then you can setup Routing and Remote Access and connect the wireless card to the server. I would not recommend this, as it would pose a security risk. The simplest solution would be to get another wireless router and configure it to connect to the other wireless network as a bridge, and then configure the ports on the new router to allow file sharing etc... Now that being said, you are still going over a wireless connection. I would impliment a VPN across the wireless network and this would help eliminate the possibility of an attack.

It would look something like this:

Internet --> Your Network --> Wireless Network --> Their Network --> Internet

The above is assuming that the other wireless network has internet connectivity. The other option is to forget about the wireless. Depending on the routers that you and the other wireless network has you could create a VPN tunnel between the 2 networks.

Hope this helps.

You want to be able to access the server from the wired and wireless networks? What Axeldoomeyer said is a bit eccessive, and frankly is unnesesary. I would just leave the wired side of the server as it is, and add the wireless card into it, and set it up to connect to the wireless network, and you can now connect to the same shares via the wired and wireless connections.

If you are wanting to be able to access "WirelessPC1" on the wireless network from "WiredPC1", through the server, you will have to make sure that the two networks have no duplicate IP's, and the server will have to be connected to the wireless and the wired connections, and those two will have to be bridged. To do that, all you have to do is select your connections, and right click, and select bridge. THe IP range must be within a class c, though. I would do it like this:

Wired IP's -- 192.168.1.1-170
Wireless IP's -- 192.168.1.171-254

Hope this helps.

Back