IS there a way for me to make strict rules for certain things in Win98?

Ok, I have my own pc that I built and everything and I dont want anyone else using it so I got a cheap pc for my sister. After getting it all done I specifically told her NOT to download anything or install anything without asking me. She says ok and I dont check the computer for 2 weeks.

I go downstairs today and decide to check it out and see how its doing. It will barley boot up. After I finally got it to boot up it I run AVG and it has 13 viruses. I look to see what is installed on it and there is so much spyware, etc. installed that the pc is bombed.

I am just going to format it again, but I would like to only give her specific rights to make it so she cant do certain things, like so she cant install any programs whatsoever, or download anything and stuff like that. Is there any way for me to do this on a seperate account, then just leave the admin account for me to go in and download stuff for her thatI approve?

to lock down my mom's win98 machine i use poledit.exe. amongst other features, poledit has the option to only run specified programs.

the only thing is that you have to add poledit.exe to the allowed programs or else you'll lock yourself out from making any changes.

poledit.png

I think it is in Windows 98's resource kit or one of the tools on the real CD release :). If not try searching on Microsoft's site to see if it is available as a separate download.

K ill check that, its just the cd that with the computer, which is an old dell. I just had to put some new things in it before I gave it to her.

I was also going to suggest PolEdit.

Funny story - In my old high school (I'm out of college now, so this is like 5-6 years ago) they used Poledit to lock down all the PC's. I found it and figured out thats what they were using, and any time I logged in I would disable all the security they had in place. The tech guy started deleting the executable off all the machines when he caught me, and so I just grabbed a copy of it and stuck it on a floppy and carried it around in my bookbag.

Anyway - Poledit works great for people who can't find it and aren't technologically inclined. However, theres some sneaky ways around some of it's protection because windows 98 isn't too secure. :)

Originally posted by Direwolf20
The tech guy started deleting the executable off all the machines when he caught me, and so I just grabbed a copy of it and stuck it on a floppy and carried it around in my bookbag.
That tech guy should have been fired in the first place for leaving poledit.exe in the machines. Of course, that won't stop knowledegable people like direwolf here to use a floppy (one could argue they shouldn't give floppy access to the students at large and use network drives but email can be another entry point). They should have used a combination of proper lock down and administrative (school wise) policies like suspension, etc. to round that out.

Seems like most organizations these days (and in the past) have no clue about what it takes to implement some level of security with their infrastructure... :confused:

Back