Is there a site that does this?

dep01

Limp Gawd
There should be a website that lets you sign up, enter your current email address and pop/imap information... This "website" is always downloading your email, regardless of whether or not you are logged in, and filters out the spam, forwarding it along to your real inbox.... So it acts as a constantly running filter and at any time, you can log in and look at all the email that has been filtered... And, if you want, mark stuff as "not spam" and continue sending it along... The email that is blocked sends an error message back to the original sender and, ideally, they'd remove you from their spam list.

Wouldn't that work?

Unless such a site was by a major company like Google or Yahoo, I would not trust it with my email. And even sites like Google's Gmail occasionally get hacked. In other words, imo, this idea is too risky to chance it.

Also, why have a 3rd party website filter the emails, when the email provider such as, Comcast, should (and in my experience does) filter the spam.

Not to mention nobody but the aforementioned companies could pull this off, considering the enormous processing power and bandwidth needed to handle so many email messages.

If you're having trouble with spam on your own mail server there are plenty of 3rd party options such as spam assassin which cut spam tremendously.

http://death2spam.com/ does this.

This site started back when Paul Graham first proposed a plan for spam, (~2002)

Richard Jowsey (founder of death2spam) decided to make his service free for educational users (and, at the time, I worked for Washington State University). I used his service to filter mail from my pop3 account at the university.

Then Office 2003 was released and included some intelligent spam filtering options and gmail beta started up... so I didn't have a use for his service anymore.... but it was an invaluable service for me during the 1.5 years I used it. (It saved me so much time that I even paid the $15 lifetime membership fee despite having a "free" account for working at a university!)

His service has many corporate and educational clients and I believe he is very trustworthy if you're looking for such a service.

Caleb

I think gmail's spam filter is HORRIBLE. i've had to create my own spam filters in gmail just to try to combat the constant flow of spam that I get on a daily basis.

Thunderbird was really, truly awesome for spam filtering. I almost think it's worth having Thunderbird running on a dormant machine somewhere with me logged in to act SIMPLY as a spam filter.

I'm not using Thunderbird anymore since gmail unveiled their "check your external accounts through gmail" thing just recently. I like gmail's methods of organizing and searching, so I am using it as my primary email... it has taken some adjustments...

dep

Back