Is there a set top box solution for me!

FerraraZ

Gawd
I'm losing hopes in finding a solution thats right for me guys :( I've tried:

Logitech Revue
Boxee Box from D-Link (awesome product, kinda high priced)

Both I honestly think are awesome in their owns ways. The Revue has been good for me because Chrome allows me to stream online TV through its flash browser (including Rugby World Cup). The problem is its so buggy I cant even consistently stream a .avi or .mkv from my iMac.

The Boxee Box streamed my media from my iMac just fine BUT did not have a flash browser and I really appreciate having that feature as it adds to the complete experience.

Do I have any other feasible options? I've looked up the Roku 2 but it doesnt have a browser as far as I can see and I've written off an Apple TV because its just inferior to the two solutions I've had.

Do you guys have any suggestions or help for me? I want to be able to stream a shared folder from my iMac on OSX and have an internet browser of some sorts to stream sports from streams.

Use an IR receiver and remote control for functions under XBMC or Windows Media Center. You'll probably still want a mouse and keyboard (many options) so you can use a browser for your other needs.

Research other people's htpc setups to get an idea what they use them for. They are by far the most versatile option you have.

If you want versitility then you need to build a HTPC.

I wanted a set top solution as I got tired of fing with my HTPC, each one had is pros and cons. I took the guts of it and greated a windows machine that runs itunes and now use Apple TV.

The upsides and downsides of my decision are obvious. I have to live in apples format world and it only does 720P (which is fine for me, it may not be fine for you). But I felt the interface, ease of use, and non-hassle was worth it.

Just my two cents.

If size matters(lol) get a Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11-U. Its cheap, just add a HD, RAM, MCE Remote and a OS, and its all you need to stream whatever ya want. If you wait the Egg usually has combo deals on these, with a HD and RAM.

I have one setup with XBMC and it works quite nicely.

If size matters(lol) get a Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11-U. Its cheap, just add a HD, RAM, MCE Remote and a OS, and its all you need to stream whatever ya want. If you wait the Egg usually has combo deals on these, with a HD and RAM.

I have one setup with XBMC and it works quite nicely.

I wouldn't touch an Atom again with a 10 foot pole.

Get a real proc and we'll talk.

My boxee box plays flash streams perfectly. They did a huge update to the browser. So much better. I freaking love my boxee box. If you have a iPhone the app makes it sooo much better.

you can get a xtremer ultra which is kind of expensive. But that is what I have.

I hope htpc will get better cpus

Patriot Box Office?
http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=6&catid=69&prodgroupid=159&id=895&type=20

images

Patriot_BoxOffice_3.jpg

The interface isnt that pretty but you can update with a custom firmware. You cannot use it with XMBC though does pretty much does eveything else. You can use it as a streamer and it takes 2.5" HDs and SSDs. It can accommodate larger 2.5" drives like the 1TB models. The icing on the cake for me wass the video RSS feeds. It came with all the Revision3 Video RSS feeds preloaded. btw you have to get a USB dongle as it does not have built-in WiFi.

Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfYhb8q-g00

Last edited:
Back