Is there a reason there can't be just one universal standard mount?

damnathan

Limp Gawd
Perhaps this is a dumb question and I'm totally missing something, but why does there have to be a different mounting bracket for 1366, 1156, AM3, etc? Is it just something that amuses them, to watch us have to get different coolers or buy new mounting brackets for our current coolers? Is it really that complicated to set a standard distance for the holes and have one universal and solid standard system for mounting? Just wondering...

What happens when the socket size changes? There is no way that they could make a universal standard that would account for that.

I believe it has to do with the height of the socket and where and how much pressure that the manufacturers want on the processor.

You also have to take into account the multi layer circuit boards as well as where they want the traces to run as well as surface mounted components near the socket.

I see what you're saying, though I still think some things could be worked around if the goal was to make a mounting standard. Basically, we're still just bolting a flat piece of metal on top of another flat surface. Despite all the sockets over the last many years, bases of heatsinks have still managed to be roughly the same size. I also wonder about all of the separate little wires coming from the front of the case that have to be plugged in individually onto the motherboard. Surely they could've figured out something more convenient from the beginning.

My Asus mobo comes with a little plastic thing that you plug those individual case wires into, then you plug the plastic thing onto the mobo. It's labeled where everything goes so it's easier.

What's sad is that this wasn't something the industry started with, just having one bigger plug so if you take your board in and out often, its quick. I'm sure there could be a pretty decent list of things the industry hasn't done in the smartest ways over the years.

Back