is there a program that can tell you wahts causing your PC to restart on its own?

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
ive been having these random restarts in the middle of the night lately and its starting to piss me off. is there like a log file in windows that writes down everything that i do? maybe i can check in there. or a program that will report to me whats wrong once the PC reboots?

Perhaps event viewer (control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer).

You might also be getting blue screens o' death, so disabling automatic restart on errors would be helpful.

Go to system properties (control panel -> system or right click 'My Computer' and go to Properties). In that window click on the Advanced tab and go to 'Startup and Recovery' Settings. Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' box.

Next time the restarts happen, and if it really is error related, then you'll get to see a nice blue screen with some nice debug messages.

My suggestion is check your ram, Check the seating of your cards and most importantly check the temperature of your process in the bios (may be running a bit hot)

random restarting is usualy either RAM or PSU

download memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/

put it on a bootable floppy or cd and run it for a while even maybe a few hours if errors show up you may have bad RAM

then identify the bad stick(s) of RAM by pulling out all but one and testing them by them selves

if it is a PSU problem use motherboard monitor or other mohterboard monitoring programs to check the power rails of your PSU ie: 5v 12 to make sure they are not low a PSU not putting out solid on the 5v line will randomly restart,

it happened again after aboujt 4 days running fine. i chked the even viewer for process and the events stop recording1 hr b4 i got to sleep - in system.

i guess iam gonna re-check if my ram is properly in and then run memtest86.

Back